The good, the bad and the ugly of being new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Latest update - opportunities to find a new home for the GSP have been unsuccessful. I either have people who say yes, then learn about their aggression and back down or people who are too far away from where I live. I'm still not giving up. Just frustrated that there's no one local who could use this little guy.

The tank seems to have settled into a ryhthm. Unfortunately, it's not forward progress toward cycling. Ammonia now bumps up to about .50 ppm overnight, which can be alleviated with a 50% or greater PWC. No signs at all of NO2, let alone NO3. I get that fish in cycles take a looonnnnngggg time. Is my only hope for acceleration to ditch the GSP and get to a fishless state?

I would never do it, but I've certainly emotionally allowed myself thoughts of how many different ways there are to eliminate a GSP! I'm too humane to act on them and never would. Just adds to the frustration levels.

Latest update - opportunities to find a new home for the GSP have been unsuccessful. I either have people who say yes, then learn about their aggression and back down or people who are too far away from where I live. I'm still not giving up. Just frustrated that there's no one local who could use this little guy.

The tank seems to have settled into a ryhthm. Unfortunately, it's not forward progress toward cycling. Ammonia now bumps up to about .50 ppm overnight, which can be alleviated with a 50% or greater PWC. No signs at all of NO2, let alone NO3. I get that fish in cycles take a looonnnnngggg time. Is my only hope for acceleration to ditch the GSP and get to a fishless state?

I would never do it, but I've certainly emotionally allowed myself thoughts of how many different ways there are to eliminate a GSP! I'm too humane to act on them and never would. Just adds to the frustration levels.

Re-homing the GSP isn't necessarily about speeding things up...it's about being able to keep the fish you have in a relatively safer environment.

Fishless cycling is faster, and is the better option, IMO, but the main thing you're dealing with is how quickly and how high ammo is rising. That's why it's so important to reduce your bio-load.

Another idea would be to post an ad in the classifieds section here on AA. Tons of people would love to take him off your hands, and there's a fantastic article on how to ship live fish-
Shipping Fish and Invertebrates

Thanks eco. I've tried locally based classifieds with no luck. Guess it's time to expand the search range.

Hopefully you know by now that I get that the GSP needs a better home just to be happy. Just frustrated at the slow pace of finding a new home.

Thanks eco. I've tried locally based classifieds with no luck. Guess it's time to expand the search range.

Hopefully you know by now that I get that the GSP needs a better home just to be happy. Just frustrated at the slow pace of finding a new home.

If you started a thread in the classifieds here on this site...I bet you'd hear something by the end of the day.

I know you're doing the right thing, keep it up :)

Back
Top Bottom