The Green Water Miracle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caykuu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
for those of you who haven't heard of this, here's from another forum:
"Hello Guppians:

Like everyone else who is serious about raising guppies, I do the bare-bottom tank/ water-changing/ multiple feedings/ live brine shrimp routine. However, there is a far better way.

Back at the end of May I set up a 5 gallon tank right in front of a North window, equipped it with a box filter, and promptly dumped 8 young snakeskin females into it. I had 2 gorgeous males that were about two days away from death that I really did not think had a chance to mate-- the females were virgin from about the age of 3 weeks. So we have 10 adult guppies in a 5 gallon tank.

The water turned green almost immediately and actually resembled pea soup-- I couldn't even see the fish!!

It is now September and that 5 gallon is absolutely teaming with fry of all ages, growing easily twice as fast as the fry in other tanks, the original females are the size of BIG swordtails and the 2 old males are growing and acting like juvies!!

Not a single water change. No brine shrimp. One daily feeding(if they are lucky) of flake food. I did have to change the filter medium when the box filter started floating around the beginning of August.

I am presently conducting an experiment with a drop of high-dollar German Red Lace Snakes. I put half in a clean tank with 4 + feedings a day, lots of brine shrimp and water changes. The other half went into green water with NO water changes and 1 brine shrimp feeding per day. At 4 weeks of age I can tell you there is NO comparison!

Green water is an absolute miracle.

Check it out."

If you want to read the whole thread: The Green Water Miracle

I'm sure green water won't just doing magic for guppies, but for freshwater fish everywhere and of all kinds. (not sure about saltwater)

So yeah, I'm trying to culture this magical green water in my fry tank upstairs, hidden from the public eye LOL. I've attempted to culture a jar by placing it in the shade outside + added aquarium fertilizer... to no avail. I just got algae growing on the sides.
Is it possible to culture it straight in the aquarium by simply leaving on my 25watt fluorescent lights for 15 hours a day over my 5.5gallon? Or will that just end up with algae on the walls too?

And if possible, I think this info is sticky-able for anyone that wants to breed fish. The secret should get out!

Back
Top Bottom