The Pond's Progress .... and lessons learned so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

renosteinke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thread is an update to "Cycle levels ... the pond's progress" in the 'getting started' forum.

It's been a while since I posted. I thought you folks deserved an update. First, a pair of pics to show what I have done :

img_824635_0_cf029514234801169e76942695bb5098.jpg

img_824635_1_870ffbef2d01cba5868864584dde5f43.jpg

The "Pond" holds about 35 gallons of water. The dark blue thing is a 'quiet' splash free waterfall.

It took forever for my cycle levels to get sorted out. Then, one day it warmed up a few degrees ... and Presto! My levels have remained steady at 0-0-0 since.

The goldfish are history. They were having too much fun uprooting the submerged plants, and chewing the roots of the floating plants.

Lighting was also an issue with the plants. I now have the equivalent of a 250 watt bulb lighting the pond, and all is well. There is very little light spilling out into the room. For the geeks, that's 40 ft-candles at the water surface.

I painted the inside of the tub (pigmented shellac) and got the white gravel to make it easier to see the fish. Visibility is another reason for my getting rid of the floating plants; the pond simply isn't big enough.

My 'farm pond' idea had to change,in part because there are some legal iissues here regarding the keeping of 'non native' fish that might survive if released into the local waters. That's right ... bait stores can't even sell minnows. Plus, every fish I might trap would want to get to be koi size ... and my pond is a bit small for that! :(

Reno is quite dry; I have to add a bucket of water daily. On the plus side, the evaporation has kept the pond temps under 76F, even in sustained 100 degree weather. The added moisture has also done wonders for my sinuses :)

I did add a heater to minimize temperature swings. It's not unusual for there to be a 40 degree drop at nightfall. Pond temp has been maintained above 70F.

My 'surface' level fish are a Betta and two Blue Gouramis. "Mid level" fish are mollies, a couple tiger barbs, and some danios. Lower level fish are two Plecos, a Pictus, and a dragon.

Fish failures have been swordtails (they jumped out almost instantly) and bamboo shrimp (who died almost immediately, and may not have survived the trip from the store).

The waterfall - a fabric tube, filled with swamp cooler material - works well, but must be laundered weekly, or algae will destroy it.

A weekly 50% water change is made easy with pumps. The canister filter pumps it out, and new water is added through the waterfall. No mess, no eddy currents.

Looks good though your fish stocking might come back to haunt you however as you have some species that are hit and miss in terms of compatibility. First off is the gourami/betta mix. Sometimes they live alright together, other times they fight to the death. Keep an eye on them. Then there are the mollies which require salt to prevent illness/disease. This isn't optimal for some of your other species (though the Dragon will appreciate it). The Dragon is probably too big for that pond but I don't know about their girth to say for sure (never had one myself).

:oops: Pride, they say, goes before the fall.

7, I really appreciate your thoughts, and I will be reviewing the, in the next week. I made an error yesterday, contaminated my water, and right now am down to ONE molly. Everything else is in fish heaven.

I do not know exactly what the contaminant was; I had replaced the swamp cooler material with some new, and that is the likely source of the problem. I failed to run the material through the laundry before using it. (Looks like that wasn't a paranoid precaution after all).

As soo as I turned on the waterfall, the water became cloudy ... then had a head of foam most beers can't match. Two immediate water changes were not enough to save the day .....

With all fish dead, I am draining the pond right now. I will then flush it twice with tap water = no fish, no need to worry about chlorine :( The final fill will be with treated water.

Restock with what????

Let's look at this as an opportunity to start afresh.

What mix of fish would YOU want to put in this bowl? My primary goal is to have a variety of shapes ... in colors that will stand out when viewed from above.

Well, took the first steps in getting started all over.

6 lyretail mollies (orange), 4 glofish danios (green), and 1 betta (blue). I'll let them settle in before adding more.

Back
Top Bottom