The start of my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HogFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, after much reading and deliberation I have finally decided to do my 55 as a planted tank. I have always wanted one because I think they are so aesthetically pleasing and even calming.

So I ordered the substrate from petco and went with the "Eco complete planted black aquarium substrate". I think it will look nice against my black background already on the tank. What do yall think?

I plan on using some driftwood and some rocks. I would like to get some moss growing on some of the rocks with some type of "grass" in the foreground and taller plants in back.

So, what does everyone think of the plan? Am I on the right track so far? I was thinking of doing a Biotope of a clear water South American river but I dont know if the black substrate would work in that situation but I just like how the substrate looks in other tanks I have seen. I am open to any suggestions that you may have as this is my first planted tank. Thanks.

Eco complete is a good substrate.

What kind of lighting are you looking at?

Most "grasses" will require higher light and CO2 injection to get a nice lawn look going... If you are wanting to keep it an SA biotope, there aren't a lot of fine leaved plants from that region. Most of the finer leaved stuff is from Southeast Asia.

The LEDs are for moonlighting?

A dual t5ho will grow a lot of stem plants and medium and low light stuff in your setup.

The LEDs are for moonlighting?

A dual t5ho will grow a lot of stem plants and medium and low light stuff in your setup.
Yes, and they look nice at night. I really like this light fixture. It has 2 ballasts, 1 for the 2 main lights and one for the actinics.

Back
Top Bottom