The tank stand is FINALLY Done!!! (Pic officially inside!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, after about 4 months of working on it here and there the stand is finally done and very soon will be holding my 125g reef tank! Hopefully these pics attach correctly...

Seems to be the best way to look at them is from the "my gallery" link to the left.

Let me know what you guys think!

what the heck is up with this i am putting my pics (jpeg about 29k) in the attachment section and nothing is attaching to the post as you can see...

Make sure you're not over your attachment limit. Click on your profile button at the bottom of your post and you'll see a list of pics you attached in your posts. I believe the limit is 1 or 2 mg. Whatever the limit is, you can delete old attachments to make some room for the new pics you want to post.

Congrats Gsx, hmmmm darn I also built a stand for my 125 gallon as well. Didn't any pics during the building process, but maybe I should post up a pic of the final product. I think it took my father and I about a month's worth of time to finish the stand. It was the first time for the both of us to do carpentry work of this scale, and so when the stand was completed we were very very happy to see how the result came out. Was this your first time building a stand? What made me happy most of all, is that for the wood and buying 2 saws (Sabre and Circular) it cost about $250 total, which I think is a true bargain then buying an already made stand costing maybe close to $500.

Well anyway congrats again GSX and hopefully this weekend i'll get some pics of our stand as well.

Chris

Well, I uploaded my pics into the Members SW Tanks gallery and they're pending approval. Seemed to be the only way I could get them on here- I can't just upload a pic from my comp w/o it being in the gallery? Anyways hopefully it won't take too long.

gsxrguru2 said:
Well, I uploaded my pics into the Members SW Tanks gallery and they're pending approval. Seemed to be the only way I could get them on here- I can't just upload a pic from my comp w/o it being in the gallery? Anyways hopefully it won't take too long.
You can. you need to browse for the file in the "post reply" form, then click the "Add Attachment" button and let the page reload before clicking the submit button. :wink:

And the stand looks VERY nice!

Looks very professional :D Is there enough support in the center for 1800+ lbs? Now you just need to build a custom top ;) The black light top is a bit distracting with such a beautiful cabinet below.

tank44qi.jpg

tank111je.jpg

thanks tecwzrd! You know, i had that rear center brace actually in the center until i bought the 40g tank for the sump. It didn't fit the way it was and so i had to move the brace over about 8". Do you think the brace being off from center is going to pose a problem? I just figured it would be good as long as there was something there.

by the way the two middle doors are each attached to a 2x4 that spans the distance from the top to bottom.

oh yeah- tecwzrd, i will be building a canopy to match but right now i am just holding off to see how the lights affect the water temp.. Once i figure that out i'll build it so that it keeps the lights away from the surface of the water at the best distance.

Nice Job!!! I wish I had that stand for my 125... Just a little hint. Is the plywood on the bottom of the stand sealed? If not I would paint it or seal it some how, I get water under my stand ever once in a while and having mine painted helps. Water changes, fuge and skimmer cleanings ect....
How much did that run you to build if you dont' mind me asking..

seaham, i actually don't have any plywood at the very bottom of the stand, just at the bottom on the inside. I used the same sealant (a very heavy coat) inside the stand as I did to seal the exterior of the stand. the container said it repels water, so hopefully it will live up to that, however i think i'm going to paint the inside black so it looks better. What sort of paint did you use?
I think the stand cost somewhere in the range of 300.00 or so. What really makes it valuable (to me anyways) are the looooong hours I put into it. I haven't done any real woodworking since middle school shop class about 13 years ago so i wanted to take it slow, do it right and make it look good.

gsxrguru2 said:
It didn't fit the way it was and so i had to move the brace over about 8". Do you think the brace being off from center is going to pose a problem?

A lot of the professional stands like All-Glass and Oceanic have off centered braces in the back to accommodate sumps better, the load should be ok.

I was curious as to what the doors were attached to but with 2x4 it shouldn’t be an issue.

My dad has built quite a few custom tank stands and this is one of the nicest looking I’ve seen in a long time.

I would assume you could use regular cabinet doors but did you make those doors also?

Can’t wait to see the top to match :D We keep the house at 68 all the time so luckily light heat is never a issue for us.

Thanks guys for the props on the stand! Tec, I bought those doors off of http://cabinetdoorsandhardware.com/ The price was awesome- I think i paid 60.00 for the doors plus 20 for shipping. They're oak and came unfinished. If I had gotten them from HD or lowes I probably would've paid 2-3x as much. As soon as I get the canopy done I'll put pics up right away!

I suspected you didn’t waste your time with the intricate details on the doors and I can’t blame you a bit, most don’t have the right tools for the job anyways. (nice link) $60 for 3 doors sounds pretty good. You probably saved around $300 total :D

Back
Top Bottom