The_Tominater needs help with starting a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Tominater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok guys i have a level back yard but i dont know were to start i want to build a back yard pond and put some pretty big fish in it i live in arizona so etme help

ok i want to build a pond that is about 5 foot wiide and 7-9 feet long and about a foot deep

Tominator,

Whether you are in AZ, or VA, you still need to keep a pond at least 18 inches deep, I prefer 24. That depth is need for cooling in summer time, and to keep from freezing too deep in the winter.

Lori, it is hard to tell from your pics which sides are high and low.

Tominator, I made you your own thread....

I definately agree that your pond should definately be at least 18" if not 2'. I get a lot of evaporation here, I would imagine that you could easily loose too much if you left it as shallow as a foot, besides the fish like to be able to swim down to escape the sun/heat.

Whew..!!!

Not sure which thread to work in here.....but, I'd certainly agree that depth
is important (I like 20-24" as a minimum!!)

So is planning for plants, landscaping and Water Circulation (meaning placement
of water features like pumps, skimmers, waterfalls, etc.) In warming weather,
aeration is also important.

As far as the bottom goes; it used to be the theory to keep the bottoms clear
or clean. But more recent theories (and I whole-heartedly endorse) are to use
sufficient pebbles, small rocks, gravel, etc. .......simply provides more bacteria
surface growing capability. Also gives fish a pleasant way to occupy their time
"nosing" around the stuff at the bottom (LOL!).

Bernie

If you want to have big koi then you need space for them to swim up down and all around - that is why I plan on building my pond up - more depth - so I agree you will have to dig deeper than 1 foot - plus it keeps the fish safe from predators like racoons - birds of pray or any animal that loves to eat fish - you might also think about adding something in your pond for the fish to hide in and keep in mind they need shade as well as sun.

Here we get very cold freezing winters so I winter my fish inside - plus I get to see them in winter as well as summer.Think about a good liner as well - I went cheap and now have to replace it (holes )then you will have to do a search to see what kind of plants are safe for your fish because if there are plants in the pond -be it floating or not - koi or what ever kind of fish you have love nibbling on them. Hope this helps some.

Research, research & more Research!!
Ask as many questions as you can!!
I didn't know about alot of the forums out there when I build my pond. If I did, I would have done things alot differently.
I started out with a 600 gal pond and within 4 months, I was digging my 5000+(and still not large enough) pond.
I added a skimmer, purifalls, bottom drains. And just this past summer, added 4 55gal barrel TT/biofilters plus, another makeshift bottom drain.
If I did my research the first time around, I would have never had sloped sides, id have removed the treestump so I "could" enlarge the pond if I wanted too.
I would have never put the rocks in the bottom of the pond(see photo gallery) as the removal was a Bi**h!! (I did it all myself) 39 YO female here :mrgreen:
But all in all, I love my pond.
It's the best therapy in the world!!!!!
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!!

And for your pump~ I'd strongly recommend an out of pond pump!!
Trust me~ been there !!

i dont want a pond that is in the ground i was think of building an above ground pond

ok here is my design

5 foot wide 9 foot long 3 foot high
2inch by 2inch square tubing frame
1inch by 2inch rectangle tubing for vertical supports
inside the frame grinded down sheet medal so there isnt any sharp edges
all welded except for the corners those will be bolted to gether
a 45 mil rectangle linner to go inside
dirt under neath to add support
pebbles to go in the bottom about 4 inches deep
add some plants (thinking)
add some fish (thinking)
some trees that hang over the pond
i need a cooling system for my pond
it is supposed to get on average 115 degrees in arizona

Any mechanical cooling system, such as a chiller, will draw huge amounts of power.

Evaporation is a very good cooling method, but i'm not sure if it would work on the scale of a pond, besides you would need to replace lare amounts of water.

Would it be possible to build your pond underneath some sort of structure that will block out the sun, that seems like it would be one of the biggest problems.

yes i was thinking about buying 1 of those car white car tents and putting it on wheels so i can move but what do uu think on my idea of a above ground pond

Does your state have freezing temps?
If so~ I'd really think about inground pond. I'm in zone 4 and my pond is 4 1/2 feet deep. I wasn't going to take the chance of losing more fish this year. SO~ my husband built me a 1300gal indoor pond and all the fish are in my basement eating well and getting big.

I'd say...the key is always "insulating" around the outer edges of you pond that
would be "above" ground. Being in AZ should make that a relatively easy task!! :lol: :lol:

As far as sun and blocking goes.....look at small trees or large shrubs to help.
Even tall pond plants like Taro, etc.! Also floating plant cover.

Bernie

Living in such a hot area, you would be far better off to build an in-ground pond. The earth 2 ft. down will be much, MUCH cooler than the air temps, and would keep your fish from boiling.

Again, insulation and plant cover does wonders ......both for cold AND heat !!!

When I lived in Phoenix for a short time....they had many nice pond setups out
there both above and below ground!!
Of course if you live in the Flagstaff area, it will be a diff set of climate factors to work with!! (LOL)!!!

Bernie

I beg to differ about the insulation. How does insulation help whenever the sun is beating down into the water for 4-6 hours, if not more? Even WITH tree cover? I am not being rude, just curious.......... Especially when there is 90 degree temps, with full sun... wouldnt the insulation just keep it warmer longer?

Just curious....

Back
Top Bottom