There is some oily foam on top of water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mother has a tank that she wanted me to look at. She has parrot and some other yellow guy in the tank. ( I am pretty sure it is African cichlids, but that is battle for another day).

Right now the more pressing issues is that there is this oily foam thing on the top of the water. I have no clue what it is. I just looks like oil at first but when you net it up it comes together as foam. The tank is 65 g.

No clue what the parameters are.

An oily film on the surface of the water is a protein layer. It will go away if surface agitation of the water is increased either by using a bubbler, lowering your water level so water from an HOB cascades into the tank like a waterfall, or by aiming the outflow of a canister filter towards the surface to create surface movement.

Bubbles will form in the protein layer if you have a bubbler that produces very fine bubbles. From using certain types of conditioners in the tank. Or if you have a bubble nest fish like gourami's or a Betta.

Back
Top Bottom