Thermometer Broke Inside Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was watching my fish tank and I noticed that my thermometer looked red. I took it out to see if I could clean it and I realized the top of it was broken and there was water in it! But so far my fish are ok. I have no idea how it broke or how long it has been broken sitting in there. Has this ever happened to anybody else and do you think my fish will live??

I was watching my fish tank and I noticed that my thermometer looked red. I took it out to see if I could clean it and I realized the top of it was broken and there was water in it! But so far my fish are ok. I have no idea how it broke or how long it has been broken sitting in there. Has this ever happened to anybody else and do you think my fish will live??

I've never had this happen, but the good news is that if the liquid that indicates temperature is red it isn't mercury -- most likely it is dyed alcohol.

Granted, neither dye nor alcohol are good for fish, but given the small amount present in a thermometer when compared to the dilution of most tanks, I personally wouldn't be alarmed -- though this is nothing more than my personal speculation.

Good luck!

I've had it happen. They should be ok with a big water change.

Yeah mine are fine so far they act like nothing happened so that's good.

i have had it to when my pleco decidied he didnt likeit, i didn have any problems

Back
Top Bottom