Things I learned about cycling a tank and sicknes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jollyone11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1 DO NOT start with the most expensive fish you want
2 DO Not mess with chemical level unless fish are stressing
3 bacteria excellent for tank NOT a bad idea
4 If the fish is sick get him out of that tank A.S.A.P
5 Salt and warmer water is a good start for treatment of sick
6 DO NOT buy every medicine known to fish just get the one you need
7 coming from 6 identifiy whats wrong before you go off the deep end!
That last one was hard for me . You know the fish is sick and you want it to
get better . I tend to get caught in the moment and the blinding flash of got
to do something now fast hurry ! Well I think now it better to understand
what wrong then take the steps to fix it .
There was more I learned , But that was the best of it

Thanks for your post, i recently went through a sick fish. Led to my learning about cycling, N03, NitrItes, NitrAtes, partial water changes, beneficial bacteria / bio cycle... all of which i am still learning. Also good advice in your post.

Just do fishless cycling and you don't have to worry about sick fish while cycling.

Just do fishless cycling and you don't have to worry about sick fish while cycling.
Wish I could have.... problem is already had the fish and no place to leave it while trying to get the tank right for my betta... it was a gift and i was not aware of how complicated it all is, so little by little started trying to improve his quality of life.... let to now cycling with fish... if I knew someone with a healthy, cycled tank, that would be a different story.. the few people i know with fish (2) know nothing about bio balance and think i am anal for what i am doing.... even the wife is upset that i am spending money, in her opinion, needlessly.... but i do it for the fish and for my 9 yr old daughter, (which goes back to the fish, lol)

Wish I could have.... problem is already had the fish and no place to leave it while trying to get the tank right for my betta... it was a gift and i was not aware of how complicated it all is, so little by little started trying to improve his quality of life.... let to now cycling with fish... if I knew someone with a healthy, cycled tank, that would be a different story.. the few people i know with fish (2) know nothing about bio balance and think i am anal for what i am doing.... even the wife is upset that i am spending money, in her opinion, needlessly.... but i do it for the fish and for my 9 yr old daughter, (which goes back to the fish, lol)

I understand that. Happened to me too. Just saying, if you went through it and want to compile lessons learned, wouldn't one of those lessons be fishless cycling? :)

Back
Top Bottom