Thinking bout tanganyikan communtiy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gulfstream

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I'm thinking about setting up a 55 gallon tang community, I really like the cyprochromis, but what else could I put with them? I'm trying to stay away from the daffodils and helianthus! What else should I consider? Is a 55 even big enough to house a group of cyprochromis?

Gulfstream said:
Hey I'm thinking about setting up a 55 gallon tang community, I really like the cyprochromis, but what else could I put with them? I'm trying to stay away from the daffodils and helianthus! What else should I consider? Is a 55 even big enough to house a group of cyprochromis?

Woot woot! I'm tagging along! Love tangs! Gonna start my Tanganyikan build after I move the other Africans over to the 150. Have you seen Black Compressiceps or Tropheus Lufubu (can be aggressive tho) I must have them lol along with my Julidichromis pair (I already have them) I also have Brichardi, lovely fish! Why not some of them??

I think the group of Cyprochromis do need bigger than a 55 depending in what ya get... I think there is a kind that reach about 3 1/2 in. but then there are some that get like 6.5.

Last edited:
I am trying to stay away from the brichardi types, i have had redefines in the past and I couldn't get rid of the baby's fast enough, brichardi a would take over the tank!

Gulfstream said:
I am trying to stay away from the brichardi types, i have had redefines in the past and I couldn't get rid of the baby's fast enough, brichardi a would take over the tank!

Hahaa! See that's why I have my Compressiceps :) fry eating machine! Great population control :) ok so scratch Brichardi... Love my juli's how about some if them? Dickfeldi or Marlieri. Cool little guys :)

Any info on calvus? And I would like some variety! Maybe a couple Julie's and maybe a couple lelupi. Possible some Shellie's.

Gulfstream said:
Any info on calvus? And I would like some variety! Maybe a couple Julie's and maybe a couple lelupi. Possible some Shellie's.

Calvus are awesome too :) grow to 6 in. Males being larger than the female, carnivore & they are egg layers or "substrate spawners" :)

Also an ambush predator, or as I like to refer to compressed Cichlids, population control :D

Last edited:
So I have been thinking possibly tropheus now, how many do I need for a group? Who has the best stock? What else can I put with the group? Where can I buy spiraling flake? Los doesn't stock spirilina?

Gulfstream said:
So I have been thinking possibly tropheus now, how many do I need for a group? Who has the best stock? What else can I put with the group? Where can I buy spiraling flake? Los doesn't stock spirilina?

Tropheus I would say a group of no less than 13 or you will probably end up with only 1 they are very similar to demasoni in this respect.Conspecific aggression is high with tropheus.

I want to hitch a ride on this one. I'm a tangy tank. I have frontosa, gold compress, black calvus and syndo. Not problems really the all like to play tuff guy once and a while.

I would live to set up and second tank for tropheus only. Such a cool aggressive fish. Maybe with some Dubois

Back
Top Bottom