thinking of ember tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone provide me with some basic info on these guys? As finicky as neons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

don't know much about them but my lfs has a display tank( 1 gal) with a bunch in it an d they always look healthy , cute little things

We have these at work.... greedy little devils, eat anything.... very fat :)

We have these at work.... greedy little devils, eat anything.... very fat :)

Ey pip! They stay relativley small huh? Like green neons? Are they active enough for a moderate flow tank?

My friend has a school of ten and they seem to be very active and very peaceful towards each other, they also will eat a variety of food. My friend feeds them Aqueon flakes, NLS, and brine shrimp.

Im wondering if they'd be ok with an apisto cac? A school of 20 would be awesome!

Im wondering if they'd be ok with an apisto cac? A school of 20 would be awesome!

20 would look nice! And I think it will be fine as long as your apisto isn't overly aggressive towards other kinds of fish. I'm Thinking of putting a school of maybe 15 embers myself, in my 36 g black water tank that has 7 black neons and 3 apistos

20 would look nice! And I think it will be fine as long as your apisto isn't overly aggressive towards other kinds of fish. I'm Thinking of putting a school of maybe 15 embers myself, in my 36 g black water tank that has 7 black neons and 3 apistos

Nah, he's pretty chill.. he has been hiding a lit recently since I moved the school of rn's out, think he liked all the other fish moving around all the time.. Maybe not 20, it's a 30 long so that may be pushing it. 15 anyways:)

Yeah, they are pretty active..... mostly around the surface waiting for food, lol

Got 15, well 14.5, ones only seeing half the tank if you catch me drift.. new, darker lfs..

Glad you got them. I will add in that I have kept them for years and found them nowhere near as sensitive as neons. Good luck, get pics when you can.

They've settled right in, already getting some reds too! Awesome little fish so far

Ive got a school of 13 in a 10g with plans on moving them to a 45 gallon and increasing the school to 40-ish. So far the biggest hurdle was finding food that is small enough for them. Even the NLS Grow (super small pellets) are too big for them. I have to either crush up flake into a powder or feed them Hikari "First Bites" fry food. Oh! and frozen daphnia works as well.
Let me know if you come across something else that they can eat. :cool:

They've settled right in, already getting some reds too! Awesome little fish so far

Just wait until they have been in the tank for a couple of months. You are going to love the color.

Ive got a school of 13 in a 10g with plans on moving them to a 45 gallon and increasing the school to 40-ish. So far the biggest hurdle was finding food that is small enough for them. Even the NLS Grow (super small pellets) are too big for them. I have to either crush up flake into a powder or feed them Hikari "First Bites" fry food. Oh! and frozen daphnia works as well.
Let me know if you come across something else that they can eat. :cool:

I have 15 in the 30 long, I fed them frozen cyclops last night and they nailed it! I'll try frozen bbs tonight and I'm sure it will be a hit.. a school of 40 would be amazing!

Yah mama, i was looking at pictures of tetras and they really caught my eyes! Once I figured out they were on the smaller side and I could do a decent size school?? Drove a 2+ hour round trip for them.. very happy..

Last edited:
Just wait until they have been in the tank for a couple of months. You are going to love the color.

True that. I can easily tell the difference between my original 7 and the 6 that I added a couple months ago just from the difference in color intensity.

Unfortunately I cant seem to find frozen BBS, but I was thinking of getting/making a brine shrimp hatchery once I have the larger school going. I think baby brine shrimp would be a hit.

Coyne, check out the freeze dried bbs eggs, they need to rehydrate but fish nomnomnom

I have always just crushed up flakes for mine. Never had an issue.
Mine also went crazy for the egg yolk concoctions I have fed guppy fry, but all fish do IME.

Back
Top Bottom