Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Just got home from work about an hour & a half ago and got right to work finding that last little bit of razor blade that was lost and than cleaned the glass. I know the lights have been on a little too long but I had to do it! The fish have been feasting off the algae I scraped off, it was cool :) I should shut the lights off but I must see what it looks like haha! Waiting for the water to clear up :)

Did you find it?

AndrewsPistol said:
Sure did! Magnet worked like a charm :) thanks again... It was soooo genius!!!

That's what I'm here for lol are you dealing with any algae problems yet?

Mrc8858 said:
That's what I'm here for lol are you dealing with any algae problems yet?

Not too bad, I mean, it looked that way before haha! I did get that hair stuff goin on. I will be able to gauge how bad it is now that the glass is clean... It was so bad before that I couldn't really tell. I need to vac the sand real bad now tho and my sump all of a sudden blew out all these grey tube things?! Gross!

Pineapple sponges probably.. I got a few in my return chamber too. Pretty normal lol

Mrc8858 said:
Pineapple sponges probably.. I got a few in my return chamber too. Pretty normal lol

Lol, k! Alot of normal and harmless wierd things in saltwater haha... What a learning curve.

AndrewsPistol said:
Lol, k! Alot of normal and harmless wierd things in saltwater haha... What a learning curve.

Ya and some of it you'll just scratch your head in disbelief lmao this is a vermetid snail I found in my fuge that's like 100x bigger then the ones I've normally seen (its about 2.5"-3" long). It makes a long sticky thread that it let's flow in the current ( I've seen it over a foot long lol) to catch food and reel it in.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121029_225945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121029_225945.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20121029_230007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121029_230007.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 93
Mrc8858 said:
Ya and some of it you'll just scratch your head in disbelief lmao this is a vermetid snail I found in my fuge that's like 100x bigger then the ones I've normally seen (its about 2.5"-3" long). It makes a long sticky thread that it let's flow in the current ( I've seen it over a foot long lol) to catch food and reel it in.

OMG. That thing is crazy! Lol!!

Here's a before & after pic, quite pleased :D

Attachments

• image-3973912306.jpg
    image-3973912306.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image-907908176.jpg
    image-907908176.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 123
Mrc8858 said:
+1 looks great!

Thank you! I worked really hard :D I think I need more sand... I don't really have too much... I have some that came with the 150... But it's been in a bucket and really... Well, for lack of a better word, stinks!

AndrewsPistol said:
OMG. That thing is crazy! Lol!!

Here's a before & after pic, quite pleased :D

That is an amazing difference!! Wow! I've been following along amazed at your bravery...lol...it's overwhelming to think about learning all this while trying to clean up someone else's neglected mess and work too! I'm really impressed .....and envious...:)

The tank looks fabulous after all that work!! Wouldn't even know its the same tank!! The fish must be so much happier!! Great job!!

Bearchumjs said:
That looks amazing!! I cannot believe it's the same tank!!

It's a big difference! I'm very happy with the outcome :) thank you!

DanS180 said:
Good job on the tank! Looks amazing compared to the "before" pic!!

Thanks! It was pretty neglected :/ When I went to see it the first time all I could see was potential. $90 was a steal :) all it needed was a little elbow grease ;)

Beengirl said:
The tank looks fabulous after all that work!! Wouldn't even know its the same tank!! The fish must be so much happier!! Great job!!

Thank you! They do seem very happy! It's unreal the colors they started to show after having fresh water. I didn't even know that the Velvet Damsel had any blue on it. I thought it was only black with a white stripe, the rabbitfish was white with the brown stripes when I seen him at first now he has all those scribbles in his head and body & yellow... Very pretty :D very vibrant as they should be! The blue fish that I thought had fungus on its face must have just been an injury because its healing up beautifully, and I couldn't be happier :D

Botanica said:
That is an amazing difference!! Wow! I've been following along amazed at your bravery...lol...it's overwhelming to think about learning all this while trying to clean up someone else's neglected mess and work too! I'm really impressed .....and envious...:)

Thank you so much for the kind words :) I was (and still am sometimes lol) scared to death! It's definitely a new experience and a very awesome one! These sea creatures are amazing haha. I feel like I'm just playing it by ear sometimes....

Last edited:
Nothing really new to report. Fish are eating awesomely, the blue damsel's face is almost completely healed so I'm thinking it was just an injury. Today I'm gonna clean the sand as best I can. Next week I plan on cleaning the sump. Think ill put some carbon in there today.

Lets talk about something fun!

Like stocking ideas :)

Is it a 6' 150? If so I think its time to do some tang shopping! :)

Back
Top Bottom