This is so WRONG!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I told off my LFS after they brought in an order of albino corys with their tails dyed. It looked horrible & faded after about a month anyway. They said they wouldn't order them again but they always have the dyed glass fish so I guess I'm fighting a losing battle

I told off my LFS after they brought in an order of albino corys with their tails dyed. It looked horrible & faded after about a month anyway. They said they wouldn't order them again but they always have the dyed glass fish so I guess I'm fighting a losing battle

it's never a losing battle if you're committed to it. and the first thing that we should do as a community is a good background education followed by shutting down the demand for such thing

Omg that is terrible...who would even want them now that they look like that....that's ridiculous

we as educated hobbyists will be outraged at this and fight with our wallets, but it wont matter. the less informed person will be with their kid and they will see how cute it is and will have to oblige to get it for them. The store only cares about making the money. they buy it, fail to care for it properly and it dies, and they go back for another one. or they get another one because they think they are cute.

I'm seeing glofish (danios), glotetras, and globarbs and that's it. I've seen tatooed fish as well and i hate it

we as educated hobbyists will be outraged at this and fight with our wallets, but it wont matter. the less informed person will be with their kid and they will see how cute it is and will have to oblige to get it for them. The store only cares about making the money. they buy it, fail to care for it properly and it dies, and they go back for another one. or they get another one because they think they are cute.

I'm seeing glofish (danios), glotetras, and globarbs and that's it. I've seen tatooed fish as well and i hate it

Well I think the defeatist attitude definitely won't help. I'll keep trying. It may not help but at least I know I did the right thing. The only way to fix something is to try. Ignoring it won't make it go away or make it better. Pointing it out but not doing anything about it won't do any good either. Kinda like "hey look at that kid wandering into traffic. I could try to run over there & save it but I can't run very fast so I probably wouldn't make it anyway. Oh well, poor kid. I wish somebody would have done something". You're somebody so do something!

Sorry, preachy I know but I can't help it when it comes to cruelty.

is it any different than petsmart selling plants as water plants that should not be fully submerged? I am against dyed fish and tattooed fish, never seen a tattooed fish though. On the other hand, I am okay with glo-fish. genetic engineering doe nothing to cause the fish harm, unless it was allowed to breed in the wild (but even that should breed out quick). Personally a do hate the tiny tank purported to be perfect for these glo-fish.

What is really trippy that they have even made glo-rabbits! that would be a trip to see in someone yard!

I have seen the Glo-Angels, I love them, I think a school of the would be an amazing night light, in a big enough tank.

I really wish more people would view fish as animals rather than decorations. They would see that this is cruelty and must be stopped.

I agree with pcdebb it's not that people don't try but nothing will change. Clear example is poverty why not stop paying all the government hundreds of thousands of dollars to sit on there butt.

They are also starting glo-cichlids, like neon green convicts and pink angels.

Yup - and you can't sell the offspring.

But I bet you can sell the ones with recessive gene. Would be a nice way to bypass the system. Anyway, aside from a breeder perspective, glofish is really testing the boundaries of nature, it's not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom