Thoughts on canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone :),

So I have recently acquired two news tanks and am looking to get your input on canister filters. I currently have both fluval and SunSun canister filter models both of which have worked fine, however with the addition of new tanks comes the opportunity to try out new products that being said do you have any recommendations.?

I am currently looking at Ehiem advanced models, and the Aquatop AF series self priming canister filters, but am willing to consider any make/model based on your thoughts. As a side note I have read some harsh reviews regarding Ehiems lately, please let me know if this is true.

Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks

I have done service for years so I have used most canisters out there and would definitely do the Fluvals every time. I have never been impressed by Eheim (except the price). There is nothing about it that makes me think 'I wish Fluval would do that'.

I did have someone else who does a lot of work with aquariums say he has found Hydors to be really good, but I haven't messed with them yet. If I couldn't use Fluvals that would be the first one I would try.

All depends on your tank size, budget and preference .. ;)
I was always a Ehiem fan back in the old days (solid product, but pricey), but now i have returned to the scene after many years and after doing a lot of research im going with the fluval fx6 on my 90g community.

All depends on your tank size, budget and preference .. ;)
I was always a Ehiem fan back in the old days (solid product, but pricey), but now i have returned to the scene after many years and after doing a lot of research im going with the fluval fx6 on my 90g community.

True I should have mentioned size, one is just a 16g but the other is a 60g that I will be setting up for Discus

Thanks ProAquarist and Ruffers99 for your input, it seems Fluval is the consensus then. Think I am going to pick up two Fx6's today, as you stated Ruffers99 the research I did last night seems to pull the Fx6 way ahead of the rest.

Thanks to you both again :)

Thanks ProAquarist and Ruffers99 for your input, it seems Fluval is the consensus then. Think I am going to pick up two Fx6's today, as you stated Ruffers99 the research I did last night seems to pull the Fx6 way ahead of the rest.

Thanks to you both again :)

No worries and good luck with your choice. Just make sure that the fx6 is not going to be too much GPH for your tanks and the fish within. :) might be too much for your 16G? Though the Fluval brand as a whole seems to be good for a lot of folks at least.

Aquatop is actually the same thing as sunsun :) same manufacturer selling to different distributors.

I have an eheim canister myself and coildnt be happier with it. Fluval is also a great brand though.

No worries and good luck with your choice. Just make sure that the fx6 is not going to be too much GPH for your tanks and the fish within. :) might be too much for your 16G? Though the Fluval brand as a whole seems to be good for a lot of folks at least.

Yeah wont be using it on 16g, but picking up an extra for my 55 to replace my two current filters.

I have an Eheim 2217 on my 55 and it is dead-quiet, efficient, and I have only cleaned it once in 8 months--a process that was far easier than I had been led to believe. The best piece of aquarium equipment I have ever purchased without a doubt!

My first filter was a fluval canister filter and it was AWESOME. I use a lot of HOB filters on smaller tanks now but for anything bigger than 30 gallons I swear by canister filters. My 150 has an Eheim and a sponge filter.

I have a Fluval 306 and 2 cascade 1000. They all run quiet and are easy to clean. Cascades leak a little when you take hoses off and you cant access the impeller to clean it. It does have spray bars (although I don't use them). The Fluval seems to be built better, I like the quick release for hoses and the ability to clean impeller. The fluval came with all the media you need to get it started.

Both seem to have about same output. Fluval is more expensive but I think it's worth the extra 60 bucks.

I have an Eheim 2217 on my 55 and it is dead-quiet, efficient, and I have only cleaned it once in 8 months--a process that was far easier than I had been led to believe. The best piece of aquarium equipment I have ever purchased without a doubt!

This isn't a good thing. Not cleaning a filter just means all the debris is rotting. The filter's job is to house bacteria that eat ammonia and nitrite and to COLLECT particulate matter. It is your job to REMOVE that particulate matter from the system. If you don't it just rots which ruins your water quality. It also means that even with saturated media the flow isn't dropping which means there is bypass.

This isn't a good thing. Not cleaning a filter just means all the debris is rotting. The filter's job is to house bacteria that eat ammonia and nitrite and to COLLECT particulate matter. It is your job to REMOVE that particulate matter from the system. If you don't it just rots which ruins your water quality. It also means that even with saturated media the flow isn't dropping which means there is bypass.
It depends on how much you care about mechanical filtration. The canister is obviously supporting enough bacteria to handle the biological load and as long as regular water changes arebdone to control nitrates its really not the end of the world if it goes a while between cleanings.

Then why filter it at all?

I have seen tanks go from 80ppm nitrate to 10ppm just by cleaning a neglected canister. Canisters are great but if you aren't going to take care of them just get an AquaClear that is easier to clean so it actually gets done.

I love my SunSun HW-304A... Quietest filter I've ever heard (or not heard, i suppose???) Huge water volume turnover, tons of capacity, and CHEAP.

Proteus, I have a 51g tank and buying a 2217 soon. So similar specs. Is water crystal clear? Do you have pictures?
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice.
Did you just add the standard eheim media that comes with it?
Or did you custome add media of your own choice?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run all SunSuns and couldn't be happier. No issues. Running strong for over 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom