Thrasing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
I was wondering the other day if my dwarf gourami had dropsy because he is kinds plump but then i was wondering if it was just him becoming his full grown shape.

I found something that said they thrash as they die from dropsy?
What is this 'thrashing?'

Mine didnt thrash( thrashing is a word used to describe the movements at point of death, mainly nerve endings dying is what it is). I lost a few guppies to dropsy and they either just floated or sank when they died.

is he plump or is he pineconing plump?

it is a seizure fully, fish just lack appendages so it looks more like thrashing in the water. dumb fish shoulda evolved, eh ROFL.

i dont think he has dropsy - just incase any of my fish do i know what to look out for. Just reading up abit thats all.

Well, he's kinda just plump. eyes arent sticking out and he's not pineconee :p

Whitedevil - yeah!! lmao

Dropsy is hard to detect till its almost if not too late

the only visible signs that I have seen is the pinecone effect, basically its scales stick straight out like a pinecone's do. Ive only had one male guppy with dropsy, I noticed he was bloated and scales were not flat, put him in a specimen container and observed for a few hours, he got fatter and fatter so I introduced him to a cup of water from the freezer that had skim ice on top, he was gone immediately.

Dropsy is one of the hardest to detect and almost always ends in death.

Yes some take ice cold tap water and ice cubes to euthanize the sick fish.

dropsy causes far more pain then going to sleep as they do with ice cold water.

My danios have never had dropsy, I got over 400 fish as pets and only once since I started this hobby did I have a fish with dropsy. Its not common, I mean it is but it isnt, keep the tank clean and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom