Tick looking thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anotherfishname

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. Wondering if someone can tell me what this is. I found it crawling in the folds of my elegance this morning. I pulled it out with a tweezer and have it in a bag now. Is it safe to put back in or should I get rid of it?

Thanks

Attachments

• WTFIT.jpg
    WTFIT.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 62
I`ve been looking for an hour or so and cant find it. I would not return it to the tank as of yet. He has a bad look to him.

I agree with Mike. He doesn't look all that friendly. I was thinking Isopod... but those look more like grains of sand. Lets just call it a Reef Tick for now.. :p

I was thinking Isopod... but those look more like grains of sand...

No... the ones I had were about that size. They can be any size, really. You *have* seen that picture floating around the net of the one the size of a medium sized dog, right? Yikes.

I was thinking either isopod or some type of gall crab. If it was in my tank, it would now be part of my garden.

isopod_450.jpg

OK... guess it was a small-size dog.

Kurt is that a gigantic chiton? That thing is massive.. I've only seen those on documentaries that take place at the bottom of the ocean lol.

Oh geez, here we go again. I just found this critter in the same elegance. Looks a little different than the first one. Wish I could find out what these things are and how to get rid of them. Whatever they are it's making the elegance very uncomfortable. It's only half out and not looking too good. *sigh-sadness* :-:)-:)-(

Attachments

• IMG_1400edit.jpg
    IMG_1400edit.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1403edit.jpg
    IMG_1403edit.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 77
Do an Google image search on "gall crab". Think you'll find your critter.

@Zero: No... it's not a chiton - it's an isopod.

Yeah that really does look like a crab too.

Kurt, is that really an Isopod? I hear they eat people.. not kidding.. So i could definitely see one that size munching on someones arm..

Thanks again. Looks like that's what it is alright. Thinking about getting rid of the elegance before I have serious problems with the rest of my tank. If it's not already too late that is. What a shame, everything else in my tank is so healthy and I really love this piece.
BTW that isopod is SICK! I think I'd put that in the road and run it over with my truck. lol The mantis shrimp doesn't look like too much fun to play with either.

I agree. That giant Isopod looks disgusting. Something i would NEVER hold, such as that guy is doing in the picture. Freaks me out just looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom