Tiger Barbs... conflicting info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was scouting my lfs last night to look at their tiger barb stock, as I would like to add a small school (6) to my tank this weekend.

Odd thing is that the lady there said that, even in a school, they would not be good w/ my dwarf gourami. While I have seen warnings about placing less than 5 or 6 in the same tank w/ a gourami, most of my research seemed to say that the school would be okay. Which is right??

Anyone have experience w/ this combo?

Thanks!!

I don't have experience with this combo, but I wouldn't try to combine tiger barbs with really anything other than the toughest of the community fish. Tiger barbs are relentless bullies to your dwarf guarami's bookish nerd. Was elementary school fun for the bookish?

I don't have experience with this combo, but I wouldn't try to combine tiger barbs with really anything other than the toughest of the community fish. Tiger barbs are relentless bullies to your dwarf guarami's bookish nerd. Was elementary school fun for the bookish?

And hence why I am confused... so many places go so far as even recommending Dwarf Gouramis as a compatible fish *As long as* you are keeping the Tiger Barbs in a group of 6 or more (seen numbers as low as 4, but the concensus for the most part seems to be 6)?

I just wouldn't risk it myself. If I had multiple tanks and alternative placements for either species, I might, but I wouldn't in a one tank home.

I really like Tiger Barbs and had read that they wouldn't get too distracted by other fish if they were kept in a group of at least 6. I prefer my Dwarf Gouramis though and wouldn't risk putting anything that might nip at them or otherwise make their lives miserable in with them...

Those long pretty feelers would be too tempting a target I would not mix with tiger barbs, not to mention 4 gouramis and 6 tiger barbs in a 21 gallon tank would be pretty tight.

Those long pretty feelers would be too tempting a target I would not mix with tiger barbs, not to mention 4 gouramis and 6 tiger barbs in a 21 gallon tank would be pretty tight.

There is only one Gourami... maybe a second... female later down the line.

Well crap. there blows all my tank plans out of the water. Whats the point of doing research if its all wrong anyways?

I wouldn't say it's all wrong; I'm sure some have mixed the two species successfully, but like I say, I'd rather play it safe to make sure things work out. With the guaramis, you still have a lot of options for a second species to school in the tank.

I agree it can be really frustrating - and I'm only just getting into it! But then, I suppose newbies like me are more likely to do a lot of reading and so far experience had proved that you can't take any single source as gospel and trust it.

I've read numerous websites, books and fish guides as well as seeking advice from friends who've kept fish, staff in my LFS and of course people on this forum. And it's very rare that all my sources agree on pretty much anything!

At least you didn't get as far as buying your Tiger Barbs before changing your mind about them...

I agree it can be really frustrating - and I'm only just getting into it! But then, I suppose newbies like me are more likely to do a lot of reading and so far experience had proved that you can't take any single source as gospel and trust it.

I've read numerous websites, books and fish guides as well as seeking advice from friends who've kept fish, staff in my LFS and of course people on this forum. And it's very rare that all my sources agree on pretty much anything!

At least you didn't get as far as buying your Tiger Barbs before changing your mind about them...

It is terribly frustrating. Bought a book to start the whole process, and when I started having trouble, hit the net and found that everything in the book is wrong about starting a tank... now my stocking research is proving dubious at best.

Dont know if I have completely changed my mind about the Tiger Barbs... I like them too much. And I almost did end up w/ them the other day... While at the fish store scouting, I turned around for a minute, and the salesperson started getting ready to scoop. Had to haul her off the ladder... I wasnt going to be home for at least 6 hours!

Hopefully someone with some experience w/ this combo will post and shed a little light on the subject. I just find it odd that so many sources reccomend the pairing.

Wow that's pretty bad. What's the name of the book? I'll be sure to avoid it!

I've found that if my reading around throws up any unanswered questions or I have my doubts about anything then it's usually best to start a thread on here and see what everyone else thinks. It might not necessarily be the answer I want to hear (as I suspect is the case for you this time) but in the long-run it's better to know for sure.

The problem with books is that they are out of date by the time they finally hit the shelves. And once the book has been on the shelf for awhile, it becomes painfully out of date. They are a fine starting point, but it is important to take into account when it was publish and check for more recent information before making decisions.

In addition when it comes to aquariums there is no "one" right way to do things. There are many different ways that work, and of these most don't work for everyone. This is why it is important to experiment with recommendations and find the way that works best for you.

What to do... What to do...

So keeping in mind that I am attracted to the Tiger Barb via its coloration and spunkyness, where would you guys suggest I look to for a replacement fish?

Platties?

thought about them, but I think in general, I would rather not have live-bearers as they are just too prolific... dont want them to start breeding out of control with nothing to do w/ them.

Any other ideas though?

And I'm still hoping that someone will pop on and tell me that they have Dwarf Gouramis and Tiger Barbs together w. no problems :-?

If you're holding out hope for one user's being able to say that, I again repeat that while it might work out for you, it might not. Without another tank to accommodate the barbs or the guaramis, you'd be stuck with a problem.

A similar circumstance arose for me with a betta; I'd initially wanted a male with some guppies, but I'd heard of this both failing and working. I chose not to--I would have had to have had a cycled, empty tank ready for the betta had it not worked out in my community tank.

Hi Johnny,

Have a look at this and read the comments afterwards:

Tiger Barb - Puntius tetrazona

Personally I would never risk my Gouramis by adding Tiger Barbs in with them but I'd be interested to know how you get on if you do decide to take a chance...

Dan

Hi JasonC.

Look at my signature below and you'll see I have a similar setup. It has been running slightly over a year now with zero fatalities.

I know you seem to lean toward the barbs, but think you would have to agree that it might be risky since you obviously like your Dwarf Gourami.

Why not take a look at serpae tetras. I have a small school of 4 in my 29gal. They travel together like a tiny parade of soldiers. And they look sharp too. Just a suggestion.

Also, too, please allow me to offer some advice that I have found useful concerning research.

Always go with the number 3. If you find advice that is the same from 3 different sources, then you can be quite sure it is accurate.

Good luck.

Bob

I would think a (normal) gourami might fare better than a dwarf; an adult gourami just from sheer size I would think could teach any barbs that got too close a lesson. However, a dwarf gourami (or a juvenile regular gourami) would not have that sort of size advantge.

Hi JasonC.

Why not take a look at serpae tetras. I have a small school of 4 in my 29gal. They travel together like a tiny parade of soldiers. And they look sharp too. Just a suggestion.

So out of curiosity, have you seen any of the terrorizing problems with your Serpae Tetras that so many seem to complain about in various forums? Also, the other thing i saw a lot of was mentions of almost "pirhana-like" feeding frenzies. Do you have issues with making sure your Gouramis get fed? I dont know about yours, but mine is a very lazy "meander over and snack" feeder.

And while I am at it, do you have issues w/ 2 male dwarf gouramis in the same tank? I have seen a lot of sources saying this is an agression no-no? Or is your 29 large enough so they can each stake a claim and leave each other alone?

Thanks! especially for the recomendation... the serpaes look like they would be a fun alternative.

Back
Top Bottom