Tiger Barbs... conflicting info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi JasonC,

I would suspect that, not unlike humans, most fish come with somewhat of a "personality." Reference books attempt to classify species into categories such as "peaceful", "semi-aggressive", etc. But in reality that is not always the case.

Just as with us, I believe that fish often become characteristic of their environment. That is why care and research should prevail when selecting "tank mates."

In my case, I have labeled my livestock as a "peaceful community" because that is exactly what it is. I have enough "schools" of species so that no one individual gets "picked on." There is indeed "strength in numbers."

In more detail I can say that the two Dwarf Guoramis are the largest fish and the Neons the smallest. I have had absolutely no issues of aggression between the two. The Albino Corys bother no one and just provide "comic relief" on the bottom of the tank, bumping into each other and other slapstick. The Platties just do their own thing. The Serpae Tetras just "patrol" around, somewhat with authority but are all "show" and no "action." The Dwarf Guoramis act like two brother siblings growing up together. They are both very "timid" despite their relative size and often retreat from any confrontation. Ironically, the Danios are without a doubt the most active, and for lack of a better word, are the "trouble makers", but not in an aggressive way, just getting their nose into everything. I suppose that is why they are considered excellent "dither fish."

So, that being said, in addressing your questions, I have to say that "feeding time" is always a "frenzy." And yes, the Gouramis are always the last to arrive at the scene. In an attempt to combat this, I feed a little at both ends of the tank to spread out the "mob." And, of course, I later drop in pellets for the Corys (sometimes after dark.)

Finally, I think that size of a tank is indeed a factor with any aquarium, I think an equally important factor would be to insure that there are enough "hiding places" for the fishes' security. I suggest at least one rock, cave, plant,whatever for each fish to call his/her own. And all of these places should be placed in a manner in which it cannot be seen from across the tank. Basically, I call it "safe havens." The safer fish feel, the less stress, thus less health problems.

I hope that addresses most of your questions/concerns. I would be happy to explain more if you wish, but as you can already see, I talk a lot.

Good luck,

Bob

Please... I am hardly the one to complain over too much good information. Your personal experience is very valued as I push forward.

So I think that what I am going to do is end up getting a small school (6) of the Serpae tetras... they really sound like a hoot. I will also be getting one more Dwarf Gourami... probably first to allow them to bond before dumping a huge number of very active fish in the tank...

What I am not sure of is whether to go Male or Female on the partner for the Dwarf. It sounds like you have had good experience w/ two males, but I'd have to decide if I am willing to take the risk.

After this, it sounds like I have a *little* room left in my tank... thinking about introducing a ghost shrimp or two to help w/ cleanup.

Of course, this is all on hold anyways til I can get the dwarf healthy again.

Thanks again for your advice, and if you have more, I am more than willing to hear it!!

I have two Dwarf gouramis (male female) and 5 tiger barbs 3 sunset mollies female betta fish 2 snails and two african dwarf frogs in a 65 gallon tank. There has never been a problem and they all get along including at feeding times. Ill be the first to tell you the DG and TB do not mind each other at all. Although I might have gotten lucky or there is just too much room for them to even care for each other I have had no problems with them. In a smaller tank however there might be different outcomes

MY votes for they can coexist.

I absolutely agree with the "tank size" being a huge factor.

Just think, in the ocean or lake fish can swim miles to avoid any confrontations, or even if they don't like the "neighborhood."

How far can they go in a 10 or 20 or 30 gal tank?

I get along great with my mother-in-law as there are many miles between us. But I don't know how it would be if we were stuck in an elevator together!!!!!

Just kidding, mom.

Bob

i have 2 powder blue dwarf gouramis and 2 red fire gouramis AND 4 odessa barbs (2 males, 2 females) and i've never seen the barbs picking on the gouramis. My tank is 30 gal. They get along peacefully and the only "nudging" i've seen is between the gouramis. i've not seen the barbs nipping at the gouramis beards. Results may vary...hahahaha

However...one of the barbs i've named, Scott Farcus (from the movie a Chirstmas Story) because he is definately the bully in the school of barbs.

i have this combo not dwarf but opaline gouramis. i have 4 barbs and 2 opaline amongst other and they are fine together i wouldnt worry

I've got 4 tiger barbs who have never nipped at my longer fiinned fish. I even had a couple of angels in the tank, despite warnings against it, and the angels were the aggressors...not the barbs. I've since moved the angels out, as I like the barbs in that tank with my neons and long finned danios. (btw: angels never ever hassled the neons, despite the usual warnings on that count.) the barbs bug each other a lot, but no one ever gets hurt. Seems like they're just having fun and practising maneuvers on each other.

Back
Top Bottom