Time to move the betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well my female gourami just passed away today in the hospital tank (violently due to being bullied) and I will never listen to a store workers advice ever again.

I am thinking of moving my male betta into my 10 gallon.....any suggestions on what fish match up well with him?

Sorry about your fish. :(

It largely depends on the Bettas personality; some Bettas are fine with tank mates some aren't. Do you know if your Betta is aggressive to other fish?

You could try a group of nano fish like Ember Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio or Chili Rasbora. They are small fish that aren't overly active (like Neons) so they may not bother the Betta too much. You could also try a group of Pygmy Cories. The nano fish and Cories will mostly stay at the bottom and the Betta will mostly inhabit the mid-top so they may be OK together but again it depends on the Betta.

Sorry about your fish. :(

It largely depends on the Bettas personality; some Bettas are fine with tank mates some aren't. Do you know if your Betta is aggressive to other fish?

You could try a group of nano fish like Ember Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio or Chili Rasbora. They are small fish that aren't overly active (like Neons) so they may not bother the Betta too much. You could also try a group of Pygmy Cories. The nano fish and Cories will mostly stay at the bottom and the Betta will mostly inhabit the mid-top so they may be OK together but again it depends on the Betta.

I am honestly not too sure about how Ice is, as he's been by himself for a year now (and thank you). I kinda wonder if I should try, or not bother as losing my other fish by being bullied isn't the way I would like to see them... :nono:

There are a lot of fish that would work in the tank!
There are chili rasboras, spotted rasboras, the debeted neon tetra, the more excepted green neon tetra, gold ringed rasbora, pygmy corydoras, shrimp and snails are all good tank mates... If your betta will allow them. Sometimes bettas get REALLY mean and won't get along with other fish.

Ah, Librarygirl beat me:)

There are a lot of fish that would work in the tank!
There are chili rasboras, spotted rasboras, the debeted neon tetra, the more excepted green neon tetra, gold ringed rasbora, pygmy corydoras, shrimp and snails are all good tank mates... If your betta will allow them. Sometimes bettas get REALLY mean and won't get along with other fish.

Ah, Librarygirl beat me:)

Maybe I'll get a female betta for the tank then, as I really love betta fish :angel:

But that's only if you guys think I shouldn't try putting him in there or take the risk and try it?

I'd say take the risk. Female bettas can be just as mean as male bettas. Plus, most of my male bettas have been sweethearts. They get along with my tank mates, well besides one who hates everything that isn't on the bottom of the tank... But still I say try it!

So which fish bullied your gourami to death?

I'm having good luck with my Betta with celebese rainbows, threadfin rainbows, white cloud minnows, bristlenose plecos and silver half beaks. None of them have flowing fins, and none of them are fin nippers.

Hholly said:

I'm having good luck with my Betta with celebese rainbows, threadfin rainbows, white cloud minnows, bristlenose plecos and silver half beaks. None of them have flowing fins, and none of them are fin nippers.

The flowing fins cause problems, and I've heard bright colors do too. Don't get any thing your betta can mistake for competition or mistake for another betta.

Her mate, the male gourami was attacking her and even though I put her into the hospital tank she literally bled out and you can imagine how emotionally distressing that was

Thanks everyone, I learned my lesson.... never listen to advice of just the store.
I find saltwater is easier than fresh but Ice appears to take a nice liking to his new place; the pet store I am going to doesn't sell the pearl danio you've recommended; would zebra danio be ok?

Back
Top Bottom