Time to start testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benhamine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55 gallon
Okay so my temp is 72, I need to go buy a new heater. I have a salinity of 1.017. Ph level is 8.0. Normal alkalinity. What's my next step? I also have live rock/sand, 2 powerheads, protein skimmer, and filter. .. See picture

Attachments

• image-3440022071.jpg
    image-3440022071.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82
Are you going for reef or fish only? Your salinity needs to come up either way. :)

You cycling fishless i assume?

Excellent. If you havent checked up on our articles on fishless cycling I'd recommend it. And you can keep us posted on your results. It's so cool to watch a tank progress.

Your tank looks pretty good, how much LR in there? Almost looks like you could use a tad more on the left. :) I'm a big LR fan, i have over 40lbs in my 29 lol

anyways, i guess your next step is to start your cycle. I used straight ammonia with no detergents or additives to do my SW tank. You can also use a fresh dead uncooked shrimp from the supermarket. Do you have a test kit yet for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? Def gonna need it for the cycling part. API liquid test is the best you can get for the money like $25 or so for the FW master kit.

Any questions at all feel free to ask away, everyone here is so helpful.

I do not have and test kits for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Are there kits at my LFS that sell a pack of all 3 tests?

Look for the API Freshwater master kit. It has all three plus ph tests. Its much better than getting test strips they are usually inaccurate.

Most LFS carry the test kit, but you will need it for sure. :)

It is as important as the rock and fish that you have this kit for cycling your tank. I promise. :-D

If you are cycling only worry about Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I would try to bump your salinity up but dont worry about PH or alk right now. You are going to get skewed reading on them because of the high ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom