Tiny lone snail found in tank- what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafennen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tonight I cleaned my 20 gallon community tank. I have 2 amazon swords that are doing wonderfully and have been for the past 3-4 weeks, and I moved them to clean the tank but they have since been repositioned into the gravel. Also, I added a java fern that has been quarantined for a few weeks, and driftwood that has been boiled numerous times. Just as I sit down to go to bed I see a tiny little snail that doesn't resemble my adult nerite snail- who strung along on my lucky bamboo without the attendant at the store noticing.

Here is the little guy, who I immediately took out of the tank and put in a Tupperware container with tank water until I could consult you all. After scouring the tank I couldn't find any other snails but I'll certainly be checking tomorrow. It may be hard to tell, but the end of his shell is twisted, but is not shaped like a Malaysian trumpet snail. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404538251.526677.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404538267.470812.jpg

Yes after googling that's what I thought, too. I also found a second one last night. Anything in particular I should know about these snails?

They reproduce very quickly. They do eat algae off plants and glass, but their population can quickly get out of control. I have a few assassin snails to keep mine in check. Some people use "snail traps" (leave lettuce sit overnight, then remove with all the snails on it), and some people use snail-eating loaches. I personally like having a few around, and I think assassin snails are neat snails, so my method works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They reproduce in large numbers!! We have a shrimp tank and some snails came as stowaways on a plant. Woke up one day to find at least 20 new ones!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh boy. Well I've only found 2, and my sister wants them for her 45 gallon community tank. Hopefully I don't find any more!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom