tiny tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whenever I go to my LFS they have some odd shaped 5 gallon tanks (hexagon, pyramid, and more) that I think would look nice in a corner in a bedroom or someplace similiar. The problem is, I have no idea what to put in such a tiny tank. I was thinking maybe a single beta or perhaps a species tank with some small tetras. I'd rather have more smaller fish than one big one. Any other ideas? They had 7 gal and 10 gal ones as well so I could try one of those if that lends for better stocking, but I do like the micro-tank concept.

Also, does anyone know how often I'd have to change the water? It seems that for such a tiny tank it would have to be done often. I don't have any of the measurements but I can check the next time I go in. Does it seem realistic to try to make it a planted tank or should I settle for plastic decorations? Ideas for equipment so that the heater and filter don't take up the entire available space would be helpful as well. Are there any other considerations that I'm forgetting about?

Why not get one of the nano's (6g or so ) that already have all the filtration and lighting built in. You should only have to change the water as often as any other tank(10%or so a week). I saw a thread here within the last couple of days for a 6g nano that was (I believe) all inclusive of lighting and filtration.

With a small tank, you could consider getting a shrimp tank--get a handful of ghost shrimp and either keep them alone, or with another fish or two that is more of a top-dweller and won't bother them.

electrikat said:
Why not get one of the nano's (6g or so ) that already have all the filtration and lighting built in. You should only have to change the water as often as any other tank(10%or so a week). I saw a thread here within the last couple of days for a 6g nano that was (I believe) all inclusive of lighting and filtration.

I must have missed that thread. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I didn't know they had ones with everything already built in. I looked about quickly and it seems they run about $100. Hm... not that I'm cheap but I'd like to know if there are less expensive options. Still need stocking ideas...

You could try some neon Tetras-White Cloud Mountain Minnows. You are vetr limited as to what u can get in a tank that size. Im sry i couldnt be of more help in suggestions.

I think it would be fun to have a whoooooooole bunch of neon tetras and have it "heavily planted" (with fake or real plants... which ever)

I would suggest getting the 10gal (bigger is always better!)
and you could have a large school of neon tetras (or a smaller school of the larger forms of tetras), and maybe a small pleco or a cory cat or two

Ooooooh and a snail or two!

I don't know. It is in a post from friday in the general hardware section. Maybe you could ask the original poster.

any other stocking ideas for this sort of thing
i want to try a low light heavily planted tank and would like to do something very small 5 gallon maybe. just to try my hand at planted. i have to admit i would like to have some fish or something in there. numbers to me dont matter.

5 Gallon Eclipse 45$ which isn't too bad (all in one aswell) couldn't find that jbg for sale.. but that is nice for a 6 gal tank, considering all it comes with and it's glass at that. (sorry, not a big plastic tank person)

Stocking, you could do 6 or so Neons or glowlights or perhaps Xray (pristella) tetras..

For plants, perhaps Java Fern (low light) and Anubias Barteri var Barteri or var nana, both are low light. (barteri get's a bit taller)

I just set up an Eclipse 5 gallon hex on my desk at work and I love the way it turned out! It was on sale at Petsmart for $35.99. It only comes with the crappy incandescent bulb but if you replace it with the 10W flourescent that gives you 2 WPG for plants. :D I swapped out the Biowheel from my 20 gallon tank to really get the cycle going, and then added a betta I found at my LFS. Here's a pic I took with my cell phone (didn't have my camera at work).
img_336088_0_3538e2959c4ca145f5e47a0b704c6111.jpg

i was thinking some ghost shrimp and a few mts and mabe one fish that dosent mind being alone or possible one adf?

still thinking

Back
Top Bottom