Tips on dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icd1227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting dirted tank, plan to have a gravel cap but don't really know what to put in for dirt. I want the tank to be heavily planted, and it will have high light. What are your favorite dirts/mixtures to use, what would your recommend?

Most people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. I use Just Natural Organic Potting Soil from Lowes. BUT the thing is you have to get Organic Potting "Soil". Do not get anything that says Potting "Mix". The mix has non-organic ingredients that you don't want in your tank. That being said you can use any Organic Potting Soil that is available in your area. Also if you use a gravel cap try to get a small grain sized gravel.

Thank you, I have some medium sized gravel now, does it make a big difference if I use that or should I go get smaller gravel

Go mineralized topsoil. I'm formulating what I consider the 'ultimate' soil substrate, testing will commence in the upcoming weeks.

+1 on mineralizing first. Soil or mix. It was recommended to me to use miracle grow organic potting mix, and it's been fine since I finally have the junk cleaned out. But it was a real pain at first. I wish I had mineralized first. Actually Diana Walstad also recommends the mix over the soil. Can't wait for your results jeta.

I agree mineralizing helps alot but doesn't have to be done. And everything I ever read about Walstad said organic potting soil, potting soil, or top soil and in one article it actually said Miracle Grow Potting Soil.

+1 on mineralizing first. Soil or mix. It was recommended to me to use miracle grow organic potting mix, and it's been fine since I finally have the junk cleaned out. But it was a real pain at first. I wish I had mineralized first. Actually Diana Walstad also recommends the mix over the soil. Can't wait for your results jeta.

Thanks! I've done a lot of mineralized tanks but this next formula is with a lot more research and a much greater understanding of soil dynamics so I'm hopeful.

I agree mineralizing helps alot but doesn't have to be done. And everything I ever read about Walstad said organic potting soil, potting soil, or top soil and in one article it actually said Miracle Grow Potting Soil.

Hmm, I've read several articles and quotes from her book where she recommends the mix, primarily because it contains chicken poop:). Either or, I would definitely mineralize or at least float it to remove some of the wood chips. I had a mess initially, and I also had a slight ammonia reading for a day or so. Things balanced out nicely though and I am much happier now than I was initially. My fish are great and the plants are doing well. I learned a lot from this, mainly what not to do!

Back
Top Bottom