Tips on setting up a 55 gallon planted tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysteryman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be getting a 55 gallon for Christmas and I just wanted to kno if there's anything I need to do now to get it up and running properly. Also leave names of beginner plants and how to care for them. Please leave some helpful tips too as this will be my first planted aquarium

plantgeek.net is referenced quite a bit in this forum... I always use their plant guide and they do categorize nicely... check out by "lighting" requirements:

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Off the top of my head, common low light plants:

Java Fern
Java Moss
Anacharis
Watersprite
Wisteria
most Anubias
most Crypts

mysteryman said:
I will be getting a 55 gallon for Christmas and I just wanted to kno if there's anything I need to do now to get it up and running properly. Also leave names of beginner plants and how to care for them. Please leave some helpful tips too as this will be my first planted aquarium

You can research substrates and decide how you want it to look. Black or dark substrate really brings out the color in your fish. They often fade to match white or light colored bottoms.

If you need to use gravel you can still do plants. Mosses, Anubias and Ferns don't always like to be planted. You can tie them to driftwood or rocks til the roots take hold.

I used gravel in my first planted tank. I used Flourite black sand capped with Tahitian Moon Sand in my second. I'm setting up my third and still wavering on what to use :) Pool filter sand is a popular choice. I may do a sand layer, then a more expensive substrate on top. The sand will keep the cost down.

Substrate and lighting are your major decisions. CO2 and ferts and plant choices follow. I don't do CO2.

Back
Top Bottom