Tire Track Eel swollen mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FxT4LyFx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay, posted multiple times and have had barely any help. the last 3 nights ive noticed my tire track eel cant close its mouth. its lower jaw is swollen and all around where its teeth are is red. it also wont eat. someone please help.

I'm sorry I don't know enough about eels. I'm sure someone in here will post soon though. For now, could you tell us what the condition of the tank is? Size, parameters? Tank mates?

Im sorry too because i do not know enough about eels. My best guess is some type of bacterial infection. I did some looking but i couldnt post the link- google 'enteric red mouth disease' & see if the pics resemble what you are dealing with.

tank is 270l/71g. dont know the parametres. ph is 7. bought a master kit online few days ago that should be here tomorrow so will add the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels then. i had my eel, a bala shark, red tailed shark and bristlenose catfish orginally 4 years ago. around 6 months ago the red tailed shark for a reason i couldnt find? two weeks ago i bought 4 african cichlids and an oscar, obviously that pet shop sucks as they said theyd all go good together but had to take oscar back cus it grows huge and nipped my bala sharks fins. ive bought a new high powered internal filter two days ago, new light, new deco. ive really made my tank more homely for all the fish but my eel has chosen to get sick :/. i also noticed theres a lump around its anus..

that redmouth disease sounds like it doesnt hit aquariums?

I don't know anything about eels either but I'd start by changing 50% of the tanks water just incase your parameters are off. After a death and some new additions there could have been a spike.
Have you changed any filter media recently?

Edit: just read the death was 6 months ago.

the death was half a year ago. all the other fish in the tank seem happy and healthy except my smaller yellow lab that gets bullied by my other one. in the last week ive taken fifty ltrs out twice. also like i said just bought a new filter.g

FxT4LyFx said:
the death was half a year ago. all the other fish in the tank seem happy and healthy except my smaller yellow lab that gets bullied by my other one. in the last week ive taken fifty ltrs out twice. also like i said just bought a new filter.g

Yes I saw that.
Did you keep the old filter running or move the old media to the new filter? Or is everything new?

no but my filter replaced my back up filter that was only in for about two weeks.

that redmouth disease sounds like it doesnt hit aquariums?

It was the only info i could find in respect to eels & problems with their mouths. You have a tough case here! When you get your test kit, let us know how your parameters look & we will go from there!

ive tried treating with stress coat and melafix and it hasnt done anything. it seems to look fatter and like i said theres a lump around its anus. its mouth on the bottom jaw had a ulcer to start with and was swollen and then it was just red all around its gums. now it seems to be getting another ulcer on its upper jaw. it hasnt really been eating and still cant close its mouth and breathes heavily. water perimiters yesterday were ph 7.4, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 40. i took out 80l and put back in 90l.

Have you considered a course of antibiotics? Any type of ulcer is indicative of a bacterial infection. I dont know what you have access to meds-wise where you reside. Some countries are very strict in respect to fish meds.

Back
Top Bottom