Tire track or fire eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I can't decide if a tire track or fire eel is better for a community tank, it will be in a 1000 litre planted community at the end of the year and a 350 litre until then so I have the room for either, any opinions appreciated :)

I have in the past kept a fire eel, had him for @ 8 years after he passed I lost interest in the hobby for almost 5 years that's how much I liked that eel, he would set from my hand and wrap himself around my wrist like a bracelet when I did tank maintenance, easily the most interactive fish I ever had, that said I can't really speak much on the TT eel as I've never kept one but know they're also a favorite in the hobby

Ok thanks for the info the fire eel is my favourite but I am worried about it destroying the plants and other stuff in the tank when it is big and I don't really know anything about the TT eel I hope someone who has owned 1 can comment but I am leaning more towards the fire eel ATM :)

Shane87 said:
Ok thanks for the info the fire eel is my favourite but I am worried about it destroying the plants and other stuff in the tank when it is big and I don't really know anything about the TT eel I hope someone who has owned 1 can comment but I am leaning more towards the fire eel ATM :)

as long as mine had a nice safe place to be he did no damage to the decor whatsoever, I had made a "cave" from a rectangular terracotta planter probably @ 6"x15" I used a large coarse file to make two openings, one on the long side and one on the short side and stuck it in the corner of my 90g he happily shared it with the pleco that was in the tank and never tried to burry into the substrate or disturb any plants, and if the terracotta is not your style you can always cover it up with more natural looking rockwork

I had a tire track eel before. He was a joy to have. They will eat any live foods.

Cool are they interactive like the fire eels or do they just do their own thing?

Ok thanks, I read online that there are different species of TT eels and some grow larger than the fire eel, is it true? And how do you tell species apart?

Ask your dealer for the scientific name of the eels. Mastacembelus aramatus is the smaller species.

Back
Top Bottom