To Add Bacteria or Not to Add Bacteria, THAT is the Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavyKOTWF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Searched but did not find any thing on this here on forum...

Thinking about starting a new tank, I've read by googling that some think it's okay to shorten the cycle, some think not, by adding bottled bacteria like Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra SafeStart.

What say you guys, those that have tried it? Good idea? or does it make the tank unstable, and perhaps prolonging the cycle?

Hi Davy...

I've used this method for new tanks. Set up the tank with all the gear and fill it. Add some floating plants and let the tank sit without fish for a couple of days. Add 3 to 4 small fish of your choice for every 10 gallons of water. Feed the fish a little every day and change a third of the water every three days for a couple of weeks. After the two weeks, change half the water weekly for as long as you keep the tank. If you want to add a few fish after a month or so, you can. Just increase your weekly water change.

B

For cycling new tank, especially fishless cycle, adding bacteria will speed up the process and create a healthy bacteria system in your filter.

Also with maintenance, dosing bacteria product will help break down nitrate, nitrite and ammonia.

Another bacteria product I use is Seachem Stability and always keep it in handy.

Hello Davy...

I never use bottled anything to set up a new tank. I just used the standard water treatment and changed a third of the water every three days for a couple of weeks and then changed half every week for as long as I kept the tank running.

B

Back
Top Bottom