To chem or not to chem....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so maybe it was misleading a lil bit....

ive explained in the past that ive been taking care of tanks for the better part of 20 years... (im 28, yes i started with my father at 8).

the only way i have EVER known how to maintain levels in the tank was PWCs and chemically treating the water (stress coat, ph up/down, salt, etc...). i can hear some of you shrieking already! i have since decided, NO MORE CHEMICALS! (besides a water conditioner).

salt has always been a huge debate on here, from the posts i read. so i believe i will be going salt free except for treating diseases....

as far as water conditioners..... i have been using API stress coat plus... does anyone have a better suggestion? if im going to go chem free, i would like something that does not actually interfere with the fish's slime coat.

i am setting up my new 90 gal this coming sat, so i have a few days to acquire any suggested supplies by then.

Prime seems to be the way to go recently. It is fairly reasonable in price and can be bought in larger sizes than some of the other brands I've seen.

I've been using Tetra Aquasafe. The big bottle lasts me quite a while. Prime is the dechlorinator of choice around here. I thought about switching, but I've heard of tanks getting killed off because the dechlorinators reacted badly with one another.

I've been using my dechlor(can't remember the brand for the life of me top something I think) for 2 years at one drop per 5 gallons and have success. Sometimes ill get a third drop in my 10 gal water change bucket.

i prefer prime mainly because it lasts longer than any other dechlor i've tried. it uses 5ml per 50g where most use 5ml per 10g, and it costs about the same as the others

Back
Top Bottom