To rinse or not to rinse :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
This might be a dumb question but should I be rinsing my filter cartridge while I'm going through my cycle? It's been in there for over a month but I don't want to rinse away the bacteria. Also....once the cycle is finished how often do I rinse it and how often should I change it?

I don't recommend rinsing while cycling unless flow is being severely restricted.
I change my carbon filters about every 6 weeks or so. But I leapfrog the changes. ie.. if my filter has 2 carbon media cartridges I change them one at a time 3 weeks apart rather than both at the same time.
If you rinse use conditioned water or old aquarium water. Chlorine in tap water will kill bacteria on contact.

Well, I recommend on all water changes rinsing all your media that you aren't replacing in tank water that you just sucked out for your pwc. But only after the cycle...I'd leave it alone until then. The rinsing just helps keep big particulate from clogging up the works, among other things.

A new tank shouldn't have that problem (big particulate), although you may get algae growth(In the filter itself), but not enough to impede anything before the cycle is finished

The spong thingy is the bio-filter. This is home for some of your bacteria.
The bio-filter should only be lightly rinsed, in used tank water, only when it gets to clogged to pass water.

Back
Top Bottom