Toadstool Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up a nice sized toadstool leather coral from the LFS here I really respect. It's been doing fine, however day before yesterday it sucked its polyps in and has developed the waxy coating I read about that they do just before shedding their skin. I redirected a sump return to give it a cleaning flow. I only know by reading, as opposed to experience, that they do this occasionally and it can last a week or so. Many of the sources I've read also caution about toxicity when they start shedding. I do 25% PWC's weekly (while I'm just getting started). Chemistry is AOK. do I have anything to worry about?

No, not really. I have a 7" wide Toadstool. He sheds about once a month and he does look bad for a week and sheds of the white stuff bit by bit. But it has never seemed to affect anything else.

Interesating to know. I read about this when doing some research on it. Glad I wont be freaked out now by it LOL.

I did have a question, since this is a leather thread..
I just got a very small toadstool leather frag today from my LFS. Drip acclimated for about an hour, as well as I tried to put it about half way up the tank, with medium flow. In the storage container it was opened up / tentacles out, but when placed in the tank it shrunk in immedately. I imagine just like fish they need some time to get use to the lighting / flow? How long should I wait before trying to reposition it?

Mine sloughs about every two to three weeks and is only like that for a day or two at the most. Yes Melinda they need some time to acclimate to the tank. Just put him somewhere where he will get moderate flow and lighting. He should be OK.

Yeah, pretty much all corals close up and seem stressed in a new environment. Anytime I move mine around it closes up for 5 mins then slowly opens.

Yes. All told it was about 4 or 5 days of no tentacles until finally a few started poking through and pushing up the old skin. I kept a powerhead right on it so it would shed bit by bit and not shock the tank. It's all clear now and sticking his tentacles out proudly. Looks better than when I got him.

Catmel, mine shriveled up for a day or two when I introduced him, so I'm guessing that's normal. I hear they are really hardy and don't care much if you put them in high, medium, or low light.

On another note, two senseless losses last couple of days. My tiger watchman goby disappeared. He's been digging a tunnel right next to the bubble tip and it perched itself right over his hole (unbeknownst to me at the time). I suspect he's dead under a rock somewhere. And if that weren't enough, the BTA went for a fly and got stuck in the power head. Appeared to damage some tentacles and a bunch were stuck in the strainer cap so I ditched him.

Back
Top Bottom