Too bad my Aptasia and bubble algea gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firemedic1081

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm really kinda bummed. I bought my first saltwater aquarium a few weeks ago. Being the type if person that I am, I bought an "established" tank that was in disrepair. It had been neglected. It had a really big crop of aptasia, some of which were at least 2 inches tall. The liverock in the sump had a pretty good growth of bubble algea.
I took this poor thing home and started the mending process. Lots of water changes. A new protein skimmer( a reef octopus not the azoo that was in there). Better lighting and a few pepermint shrimp. I had read that the pepermint shrimp would eat any aptasia about an inch or so or smaller. I have to admit that I was actually fond of a few pieces of aptasia blowing in the current (I guess that means it's time to buy some coral). The pepermint shrimp only took a few days to wipe out the little guys. I had hoped that they would leave the big ones alone and just not let any more start. I was wrong. Today they are all gone. I guess that isn't such a bad problem. As far as the bubble algea, I moved the rock into the DT. I though maybe the tang would enjoy a little snack. Boy did she! She and the emrald crab went to town on it. They cleaned the rock better than if I had gotten a scrub brush after it. I'll move it back to the sump and hope a few spores regrow.

Wow... your aiptasia and bubble algae all disappeared - and you want it back?!!! Most folks would give their left leg to be in your position!

Back
Top Bottom