Too big a PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can one do "too big" a PWC? I have a 55 gal that I fish-less cycled and started last August. I do 49-50% pwc's because it's as easy as doing smaller ones due to the proximity of my tank to my kitchen sink (just on the other side of a partial wall). My parameters are checked periodically with my API master test kit and are always good.
Have I been needlessly stressing my fishes?

Weekly 50% PWC's is fine as long as you dechlorinate / condition the water and ensure it's temp is close to your tank's. Fish get used to PWC's after a while and you'll find they'll go about their business.

pretty sure that most people on here are doing weekly 50% PWCs so I think you are doing just fine!

(love your signature quote)

Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention that I only use Seachem Prime in my aquarium.

Sometimes if my trates are really high i'll do 75-80% no biggie. My fish have never had a problem.

Seems everybody is doing these WCs without regard to pH? Sorry, I'm a little sensitive about pH because I'm having pH crashes in a newly cycled tank and had posted in another thread about how to handle WC when my tap pH is 7.6 and my tank's going down to low 6's.?

Seems everybody is doing these WCs without regard to pH? Sorry, I'm a little sensitive about pH because I'm having pH crashes in a newly cycled tank and had posted in another thread about how to handle WC when my tap pH is 7.6 and my tank's going down to low 6's.?

Is your tank still cycling? That is a fairly dramatic pH swing from 7.6 down to near 6. Not knowing what you were told by others on the thread you posted, I'm wondering if bacteria are consuming the buffers possibly causing your pH to drop ... assuming your tank is still cycling.

Is your tank still cycling? That is a fairly dramatic pH swing from 7.6 down to near 6. Not knowing what you were told by others on the thread you posted, I'm wondering if bacteria are consuming the buffers possibly causing your pH to drop ... assuming your tank is still cycling.
I think the culprit may be the driftwood I had in there...I'm now experimenting without it today...I don't want to hijack this thread, just envy those for whom pH doesn't seem to be a problem...thanks!

sammybelle said:
I think the culprit may be the driftwood I had in there...I'm now experimenting without it today...I don't want to hijack this thread, just envy those for whom pH doesn't seem to be a problem...thanks!

I personally don't think dw has that big of impact. You could do smaller water changes so it isn't as big of impact on the ph.

sammybelle said:

(just a quick note- my tank ph is about 8.2. The water my driftwood is soaking in is about 7.6 or something. So it may be the driftwood. I really have nothing else to base that on.)

As for big water changes: I agree that if the temp is close to the tanks temp and you dechlorinate it should be fine. I did two 75% water changes today. Got those nitrites down! Yay!

Bearchumjs said:
(just a quick note- my tank ph is about 8.2. The water my driftwood is soaking in is about 7.6 or something. So it may be the driftwood. I really have nothing else to base that on.)

As for big water changes: I agree that if the temp is close to the tanks temp and you dechlorinate it should be fine. I did two 75% water changes today. Got those nitrites down! Yay!

Thank you, I was going to say one more thing but wasn't sure on my numbers. If it was from your dw, I believe the ph would be lower in the tank then raise with the water change. Seeing as the dw lowers ph, I think it makes sense...

Back
Top Bottom