Too many roots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I think I probably know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask just incase.

I have a bunch of Hygrophila polysperma in one of my tanks and there are tons of roots sprouting up and down the thing. First, is it safe to just remove the roots? Second, is there any way to prevent them from sprouting so many roots along the stem like that?

I like the look of the plant, but there are just so many roots you can hardly even see the leaves and stem.

I think Hygrophila polysperma is beautiful too, but it drives me crazy! This plant grows like you describe - getting lots of new roots and side shoots along the stem very quickly after a trim. You can trim all these hair-like roots off of the stems. I sometimes just reach in and squeeze them off with my fingernails between trims. The stem will be fine. I have planted some stems after a trim with no roots, not even on the bottom. In a week or two I have to pull a little bit hard to uproot it for another trim. So go ahead and pull off all the roots, hair roots, or side shoots that you want in order to trim and "neaten up" the plant. You won't hurt it!

You can't hurt it, I let it float for a week in another tank with no light and only a little bit of micros and it thrives giving off more roots. I don't know what to do about the root sbut i have more roots than leaves on the lower stems. Best of luck but I think if the plant has to dedicate more effort into the leaves than the roots it might help. How to do this, I haven't a clue.

Back
Top Bottom