Too much food? Too little? Just right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmaestro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Most all tropical flake food instructions suggest feeding fish 2-3 times a day, but not an amount. How do I know if I'm feeding my fish too much, not enough, or the correct amount and times/day? I generally feed them a very small pinch at 8am, 3pm, and 10pm. Any guidelines I should know?

People on here feed their fish all different lol.
I feed mine twice a day, and as much as they can eat in 5 minutes. If they don't eat it all in that span of time, I don't feed as much. I hope that made some sense lol.

It did haha. They've been eating it all within just a minute or so. So, I should probably increase the amount. What are things I should look for that would indicate over-feeding?

I go off of the type of fish that I have. For example, I feed my africans twice a day, my planted platy tank twice a day, my oscars once a day (skipping a day at once a week), my planted community tank with gouramis, angel-tetras-cherry barb-etc. once every other day. I feed the cichilds in this manner because it helps keep aggression down, the platies this way because there are fry in the tank, and the community in this manner because they are all adult fish.

Fish are oppurtunistic eaters. So long as your fish are active with filled out bodies your feeding schedule can vary to suit your fishes needs. (All depending on the species) Fry will need to be fed at a minimum of twice a day, adults once every other day, and juvie feeding determined by there species. If you are having food left over, cut back on the amount. If all the fish are healthy and active and eat the food in a few minutes then I would say you've fed enough.

i feed mine as much as they'll eat (sinking pellets) before the pellets hit the bottom... generally 5-6 pellets per fish every other day. As a guy that breeds africans told me the other day, "a hungry fish is a good fish when it comes feeding time... if they aint hungry, dont feed em". mine jump out of the water when theyre hungry, thats how i know :)

I've always been told by Pets at Home that once a day is enough, but that was mostly advice about cycling the tank and not adding to the ammonia too much. With a cycled tank, I'm not sure!

Certainly my black skirt tetras if you put in a click of pellets they'll scoop it all up within about 15 seconds!

Now I know over-feeding tends to show itself in excess tank ammonia, but what are the symptoms of under-feeding?

Back
Top Bottom