training corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any ideas on how to train them so their not scared everytime i go near thr fishtank?:fish2:

I had wild caught cories that were scared for like a year. I then put them with some albino cories that were not scared at all and they calmed down a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool. So i guess thd solution is to buy more cories? Thats find with me, theyre me favorites!

When I have skittish fish, I'll bring a chair over next to the tank and try to sit there for an hour or so each day (usually reading, sometimes watching TV). I think it gets them accustom to me and maybe helps them associate me with food (and therefore a good thing) or at the very least that Im not a threat. Its a slow process though. It seems like it takes 3-4 weeks of this before I see improvement.

I doesn't always work though. My Ember Tetras and Pygmy Corys never seemed to get used to me this way. Adding more made a big difference in my Embers, but the Pygmies still dive for cover whenever I walk by.

I've had my corys for a little over a month and they don't even move when I'm planting into the substrate near them.

Lucky! I wonder how fish can act so differntly.

Thanks. Yeah i have middle swimmers and they never dive away when i come. They seem to recognize: lid up means food. My cories though dont know this i wonder why.

My Cory's have a lot of plant cover and I keep at least 6 (currently 9). The combination seems to give them the confidence to come out and stay out even when I have my hand in the tank. The mix of 4 different species and differing sizes doesn't seem to bother them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have five total. But they are emerald and pepper cories. Maybe more is better.

Hmmm yeah more might help? I think someone mentioned it too- different types will school so you don't have to stick with one type :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats a cool mix! What types of corydoras do you have?

I have 4 cories never had an issues if anything they swim up to glass to see me but theyre in a 29 gallon planted tank an I did set up a rock structure for them to hide in and it immediately made them less skittish no other fish fit except the cories or at least dont want to have to swim on their bellies to get to it. Maybe the fact the know they have their own little hidding space incase things do get scary along with the cover of live plants makes them feel more secure

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When you approach your fish, dont suprise them, creep up slowly from afar and dont keep making sudden movements. After awhile, they'll get used to you, and you shall feed them often with a chopstick or tweezer so they'll associate you with food :)

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im trying to stick my hand in with the food, but maybe tongs better. I just hope I dont permanently freak them out.

Nah you won't, good luck!

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom