Transfering a Tank Need Advice for the big day, tommorow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey Everyone,

I posted this on the other the thread but I don't think anyone will see it.

I am the proud owner of an awesome new 30 gal tank with a black oak stand. Finally my question, I am switching my 15 gal over to the new one tomorrow.

Between the PFS, filter media, driftwood, rocks etc. do you guys think that there will be enough bacteria not to go into a mini cycle?

I think I will be fine(but I am worried) because when I changed all my gravel for PFS with the help of you all I didn't have a re-cycle.

I can't have two tanks up because my landlord will freak, even if for only a week. Any advice on the switch?

My Plan:
Put fish in Qt.
Drain all tank water 15 gal into buckets
Transfer all PFS + extra needed for bigger tank that has been sitting in declorinated water and rinsinng for 2 days
Remove used filter media from Aqua 20 HOB and put it in new Aqua 50 HOB
Add 15 gal of tank water to 30, then will it not be just like doing a 50% PWC?? I will put the bigger media in in a week or two. What do you all think, will my fish be ok? I have had them for a while and I want them to live! Thanks

Edit: Also, can I put a couple of smaller cichlids in a 30 gal with Tiger Barbs and a Raphael Cat. I really like the electric yellow's etc. I don't know much about cichlids but I have heard they will kill my plants.

Thanks again for all the help in advance!

you can do this, but I would let it sit for a few days and keep a close eyes on the level, I did this with my 29 gallon when I got it, I took the water out of the 10 gallon and used it to fill the 29, I never hada mini cycle, but I did keep an eye on the levels just in case, rememeber to keep all the gravel, fitler media, plants and ornaments soaked in some tank water to keep the bacteria alive, good luck, oh and I wouldn't add tiger barbs with chiclids, the chiclids would get nipped to death most likely

Thanks Tropic Fishman I didn't think the cichlids would be a good idea, I am just excited about the new tank.

One question, when you said let it sit? I will monitor and do more than usual PWC but I can put my fish in tommorow night when ity settles if it all looks good right?

I went from a 29 to a 55 and had no problems. I used the same filter, same gravel (added some more of course), same plants. Kept everything wet in the tank water and had no spikes whatsoever.

I threw the fish in a new rubbermaid container for a bit and it took me an hour with help.

Mike469 said:
Between the PFS, filter media, driftwood, rocks etc. do you guys think that there will be enough bacteria not to go into a mini cycle?
depends on how long your 15g was running.
Mike469 said:
I can't have two tanks up because my landlord will freak, even if for only a week. Any advice on the switch?
i assume you cannot keep your 30 and 15 running for at least two days? if not then:
Mike469 said:
My Plan:
Put fish in Qt.
Drain all tank water 15 gal into buckets
Transfer all PFS + extra needed for bigger tank that has been sitting in declorinated water and rinsinng for 2 days
Remove used filter media from Aqua 20 HOB and put it in new Aqua 50 HOB
Add 15 gal of tank water to 30, then will it not be just like doing a 50% PWC?? I will put the bigger media in in a week or two. What do you all think, will my fish be ok? I have had them for a while and I want them to live! Thanks
sounds good.
Mike469 said:
Edit: Also, can I put a couple of smaller cichlids in a 30 gal with Tiger Barbs and a Raphael Cat. I really like the electric yellow's etc. I don't know much about cichlids but I have heard they will kill my plants.
dont mix african cichs with barbs *shudder* well, no. i take that back. almost anything can be done with a big enough tank :lol:

do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? if not get a liquid test kit and have one on hand and watch the levels for the first two weeks. also, try to W/C more frequently than regular for a week or two.

Deep, cleansing breaths....

I moved from a 20 to a 55 by just seeding the new gravel with the old, moving the HOB filter that was on the 20 w/one old cartridge and one new, putting an the other old cartridge into the new filter along with one new one, and moving the few fake plants and flowerpot pl*co cave into the new tank.

This was with just the HUGE pl*co and 6 zebra danios. I put the pl*co in one bucket and the danios in another during the switch, with heaters and airstones (maybe a bit of overkill, but better than fishkill). Then we added 8 pristella tetras a week later. All went very well, water params stayed great.

You wanna make sure you don't overbioload, but don't underbioload either, after the move. Less of an issue with the smaller size difference in your tanks, though.

Then came the ICH 2 weeks later, but that's another story. Transfer was effortless. Deep breaths!

It's me again! I just got home and I was checking all the equipment.

I bought an All Glass tank and stand. Can you belive the flourescent light that came with the hood is only 17watts. 17 watts for 30 Gallons??? Last tank was an All Glass and at least the hood gave me 1 watt per gallon. I thought my plants would be good until I can buy a new bulb next week but not even 1 watt per gallon?

Is this normal? Do I have an argument with the LFS? Can I call tomorrow and tell them I want a better bulb and threaten to take it back, or is this standard for a stock hood?

And, inside the wood stand on the inside top rail there is what appears to be a hairline crack but doesn't come through to the other side. Will this be ok or should i return it? It may just be the inside black coating but it's making me a little nervous. I am sure with all the weight evened out it will be ok?

stock hoods have cheap bulbs. proabably dont have an argument. but a new bulb is really cheap anyway. check bigalsonline.com.

For the transfer, if you keep all the filter media, sand, ornaments and rocks for the new tank and the old tank has been cycled for a while you should have no problems whatsoever. I cycled a 75 gal tank in 1 day with lots of seeded media. 15 extra gals of water will just be like doing a large pwc on the tank. Should go smoothy IMO. Your plan for moving the fish will be just fine providing of course as mentioned, don't let anything dry out at all. The entire transfer should only take a short while though so that won't be a problem.

Do not add cichlids. Very bad idea for the rest of your fish.

Good luck but I am confident you should have no problem. Keep an eye on your parameters to be safe but I'd bet all will be good.

What about this inside crack? Again it seems to just be the black coating, and not a full through wood split? I never had an oak stand(always cheap stuff) Maybe this is normal for wood?

do you want to take a chance?
when you could tell them that it it unaccpetalbe and want another.
they have to do it if it faulty at no cost to you.
its not being paraniod its being safe

Mike..only you can see the stand.Only you can make the call.

I just talked to the guy at the LFS. He tells me something about pressure treated wood and that other people have asked the same thing about that All Glass wood stand and never had a problem. He told me that is what happens when it drys out and once all the tank weight is on there it will be fine.

Does this sound valid?

What I would do is take a piece of thin wire and try to insert it into the crack or scrape away a bit of the black coating if it is where it won't show and try to make an assessment. If you don't feel comfortable, return it. No point worrying, you are the customer.

I've got pressure treated wood on my deck and never had that problem. The wood should be dry when they were building it so I'm not sure I'd go with that explanation. I am not a wood expert so maybe someone can offer an opinion on that theory. I'd look at it closely and try to determine if it were surface or deeper.

Hey Zagz, thanks for the help. I did scrape away some and it does not go deep. I think it is just the black coating cracking on the inside. I probably am just a little over careful because I have floors under me.

Nothing wrong with being cautious when dealing with lots and lots of water.

When I transferred I mapped out everything the day before and had everything set and it went soooooooo well. No deaths, no spikes, it went perfectly. Just keep everything wet and all of your good stuff won't die.

Mission Complete

Hey Everyone,

Everything went great! My fish are going crazy in such a bigger tank. I will post pics. tomorrow. Thanks for all your help, you all are a life saver, or should I say fish saver.

Thanks Again

Mike

Glad everything went smoothly! Planning does pay off.

As for your light bulb, you probably won't just be able to buy a bigger bulb and put it straight into your existing hood. The wattage on fluorescent bulbs correlates to their length, so a bulb of a certain length will always be the same wattage. Your plants will be OK for a while, but it might be worth posting your issue in the planted tank forum, with what kinds of plants you have and what you want, and then you'll get all sorts of ideas about what options you have with light. Good luck!

Here are some pics. Not the best but I promised. I made 1 mistake, someone from AA was going to send me some MTS to move the sand around. Today I was at the LFS and they finally had yo yo loaches so I bought 2. Will they eat MTS as well?

Back
Top Bottom