Transparent leaves and no plant growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

am3ience

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first planted tank, and I want to make it a heavily planted one. My tank is 36g and has amazon swords, java fern, java moss, othellia? and other low maintenance plants. I currently have one life-glo Fluorescent Light Bulb 20W 6700k in the tank, and I dose with liquid co2 (excel) every other day, and flourish once a week. My problem is that, i've had my plants for a couple weeks now, and been dosing for that long as well. Some of my plants like my othellia have transparent leaves, and other plants have spots of brown or black on them. I have otos and shrimp for algae care but still have spots. Can anyone help me find out why I have no growth and have transparent leaves. Some plants like my java fern and moss look to be fine though.

Are the spots in the plant or on it, like algae?

I'm guessing you need more light. 20 W over a 36 is very low light. Do you put root tabs under your swords? You should. They are small pellets you put a few inches below the surface near rosette plants and some stem plants. Swords are rosette plants. I'm sorry I don't know what kind of plant an othellia is so I can't help you there.

I would buy a better light and put root tabs under your swords.

Are the spots in the plant or on it, like algae?

I'm guessing you need more light. 20 W over a 36 is very low light. Do you put root tabs under your swords? You should. They are small pellets you put a few inches below the surface near rosette plants and some stem plants. Swords are rosette plants. I'm sorry I don't know what kind of plant an othellia is so I can't help you there.

I would buy a better light and put root tabs under your swords.

I think it might be algae? I'm hoping it is, i'm worried it might be parts of my plants dying :/.

Do you think getting another 20w same bulb would be good enough? and I'm thinking of getting root tabs today after work. I was told my plants were all easy low light plants and my LFS said that one bulb would be good.

I think that another bulb would certainly be beneficial yes. Its enough to grow some plants but perhaps not your othellia.

Back
Top Bottom