Transporting my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Editor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi AA,

It's nearing the end of term for me, which means returning home from uni.

I want to take my tank with me as there's no one up here to look after the fish over the summer, however I'm not sure of the best way to do this?

Thankfully its a small tank (30L, 8gal) with a small stock (4 guppies).

It's a 2 hour drive, but if I give a set up and tear down margin either side I'd guess the fish would be out of the tank anywhere up to 4 hours.. Was planning on using this as an excuse to give the gravel a really good going over with vacuum etc...

What's the best way of transporting them in the least stressful way possible?

I was thinking a tallish "clippy" type box I could seal them in, then maybe drill holes in the top for a battery powered air pump to run while in the car.. Then just make sure the tub is darkened and secure for the journey...

I'm also worried about the temp dropping... I wont be able to run a heater in the car... Would those chemical "snap to activate" heat packs work to help them?

Or is this overkill and in fact they'd be ok in just a fish bag from LFS pressurised with air from my pump?

Oh and what about filter media? I dont want the bacteria dying, how long do these guys last out of water? and is it worth considering build up of ammonia/waste in the transportation vessel?

Not planning the move until June 4th, just wanna have a POA in place well before crunch time!

Thanks all!

The Editor said:
Hi AA,

It's nearing the end of term for me, which means returning home from uni.

I want to take my tank with me as there's no one up here to look after the fish over the summer, however I'm not sure of the best way to do this?

Thankfully its a small tank (30L, 8gal) with a small stock (4 guppies).

It's a 2 hour drive, but if I give a set up and tear down margin either side I'd guess the fish would be out of the tank anywhere up to 4 hours.. Was planning on using this as an excuse to give the gravel a really good going over with vacuum etc...

What's the best way of transporting them in the least stressful way possible?

I was thinking a tallish "clippy" type box I could seal them in, then maybe drill holes in the top for a battery powered air pump to run while in the car.. Then just make sure the tub is darkened and secure for the journey...

I'm also worried about the temp dropping... I wont be able to run a heater in the car... Would those chemical "snap to activate" heat packs work to help them?

Or is this overkill and in fact they'd be ok in just a fish bag from LFS pressurised with air from my pump?

Oh and what about filter media? I dont want the bacteria dying, how long do these guys last out of water? and is it worth considering build up of ammonia/waste in the transportation vessel?

Not planning the move until June 4th, just wanna have a POA in place well before crunch time!

Thanks all!

For ur filter media just keep them soaked or wet in aquarium water. They can survive without ammonia for up to 1 week before large mass are lost! And transporting I'm not very experienced with. I'll leave that to the masters?

My lfs suggested about an hour in trans inside their sealed bag.
I don't know about heat but it looks like 2hrs would def be better with some air going.

I had a friend do something similar once.

I'm thinking in an 8 Gal tank you could probably just keep them in there, as long as you have room. It's already going to be stressful for them ... so at this point it's about providing the least stressful experience. I would think placing it on the floor behind the front seats should keep it from tilting, this way you can place it in the car just before you leave giving them filter run time.

Maybe lower the water level to 6 Gal so to prevent spillage, though some is inevitable, so wrap the whole thing, if possible in a plastic bag. Plus, the 6 gal of water will retain it's heat better than just having the fish in plastic bags, not too mention you keep the gravel intact so the BB will not suffer. Oxygen should not be too much of a problem, 6 gal should have enough to last. Keep the 2 Gal you remove in plastic jugs in case you need to do a quick water change. And as hubert90 said, keep the filter media wet ... the BB will be fine.

I hadn't considered moving the tank with the fish and water still inside... Interesting... certainly makes things easier if I don't have to go out and find a battery air pump...

What about plants/ornaments and bog wood? I wouldn't want my wood arrangement collapsing and crushing them at all..

I've had to do the same thing this year after my term ended. Except mine was a 9 hour drive.

I lowered the tank to 25% water, took out all of the ornaments/things that might jostle around and hurt the fish. Put the tank in a box and set it in the backseat of my truck. Then I buckled them in! 9 hours later I arrived home, set them up first. Every single fish (including an angel fish) survived.

Just keep them warm and avoid to much movement. It might depend on how steady a driver you are :p

I've had to do the same thing this year after my term ended. Except mine was a 9 hour drive.

I lowered the tank to 25% water, took out all of the ornaments/things that might jostle around and hurt the fish. Put the tank in a box and set it in the backseat of my truck. Then I buckled them in! 9 hours later I arrived home, set them up first. Every single fish (including an angel fish) survived.

Just keep them warm and avoid to much movement. It might depend on how steady a driver you are :p

Wow ok... That makes my lil trip seem tiny!

I'll try your method I think! Thanks!

Wow ok... That makes my lil trip seem tiny!

I'll try your method I think! Thanks!

If your worried about DriftWood and ornaments, put them in plastic bags filled with tank water. Remember, DW, ornaments etc also have BB on them and if they dry out, then you'll lose the BB that's grown on them.

Now I remember what my buddy did. He had a 10gal, drained 1/3 and kept in plastic jugs for PWC if necessary, another 1/3 for plants, ornaments etc, the rest in the tank.

Good luck!

Good advice has been offered so far and for your size of tank that is probably what I would do. Another option, more for a larger tank would be to put the fish in a Styrofoam cooler. Applying the rest of advice given for filter media and such.

Back
Top Bottom