traveling with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
My grandfather has been in the hospital for three weeks in Boston and is finally going home tomorrow! During his stay my mother purchased two bettas to keep in company.

If we leave the fish here they will die as my sister cannot and will not take care of them. Tomorrow we will drive down to Washington DC and I know the fish can make this drive.

From DC we will be flying back to Charleston sc and this is where I am worried . The current restrictions on liquids while flying are limited to three ounces. This is not really conducive to taking fish on the plane.

How can I get these guys home with us??

Well, I had that problem too. Well, if your a woman, you could take 2 small ziploc fill with water and stuff your bra. They like warm water so.....:rolleyes:

or you could mail them home. Pack them like to ship them, and mail them home to yourself. Ship them overnight.

I think the 3oz restriction is only for carry on luggage. Technically you could pack them into your checked luggage and take them that way, but I don't know how comfortable I'd feel sending them through the baggage handling system at the airports. :eek: That's if checking live animals is even legal or allowed by the airline in question. I think the best way to do it is to buy a small cooler and pack it with extra foam insulation and then pack the fish into very well secured bags(double bagged) and overnight the cooler to your home. That's pretty much how the online fish retailers do it, insulated shipping boxes.

Lol!!!! Well I won't be stuffing them in my bra!

You are correct in that the limitation only applies to carry on items. That is all we have.

We have to hit the road as soon as he is discharged as we do have a flight to catch. I am going to call our airline in the morning and see what they say. Hopefully we will get a "pass". I will keep you guys informed

ITs not the air line, its the air port. I had a go from the airline to bring my leopard gecko. And the air port stopped me at the gate. They said no

ITs not the air line, its the air port. I had a go from the airline to bring my leopard gecko. And the air port stopped me at the gate. They said no

That would be correct.

This is a case of having a "friend" in certain places.

As I did not purchase the fish and once home they won't be staying in this container I'm going to request that people refrain from commenting on the "aquarium".

They did a great job traveling from Boston to DC. Because of the winter storm and holiday traffic an eight hour trip turned into eleven and a half. It was exhausting. Once we made it to DC I grabbed a bottle of water and did a water change with prime. Next I put them in their own containers this morning

ForumRunner_20121227_071418.jpg

I sometimes feel that Airport security is taken WAY to far.

I am glad you got your fish home and are safe.

When I got married my wife and I planned a cruise. We got to the Airport and me being the new husband thought it was only natural to put my wife's new last name on the ticket. I didn't think that her ID was not in her new last name. :-/ I had our marriage license and every other document to prove she was who she said she was. We waited an extra hour just for them idiots to determine it was ok for her to fly with the ticket she had.

I could understand if I didn't have the marriage certificate, but I showed them that she just got married and that the ticket belonged to her. I really hate Airport security, and I think it's sad that I would feel safer without TSA. :p

Another time I was in my full Army getup coming off leave from Afghanistan. I am going though security and they decided to do the whole nine yards on me. I got full service, without them buying dinner first. :p The whole time, I am like "Really, are we not on the same team here?". Their response was "You know how easy it is to get an Army uniform"? I was upset to say the least, but what can you do? This thread should be turned into "TSA Fun" :p

Back
Top Bottom