Treating algae in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed a growing algae problem in my 5 gal moderately planted tank. I have had some green dot algae for about a month that I have been wiping away with a toothbrush durring my weekly 50% water changes. My two Otocinclus (aka: Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish) have not been able, or willing, to eat this algae. About three days ago I noticed some hair algae growing on one of my aquarium decorations.

The 5 gal tank has a 10 watt flourecent bulb which I run for 12 hours each day. The tank recieves sunlight through a window for about 2 hours in the evening. I have been fertalizing with Seachem Flourish once a week. I do not have a CO2 system.

The plants that I have in the tank are as follows.

Elodea densa (aka: Anacharis)
Microsorum pteropus (aka: Java Fern)
Anubias barteri v. 'nana'
Vallisneria americana v. 'Biwaensis' (aka: Corkscrew Val)
Cryptocoryne undulata

The growth for the plants has been good. I have been afraid to cut back the light amount in the tank fearing that I would be harming the plants I have also read that using algae killers can also harm plants and fish. I have cut back on the amount I have been feeding my platys to reduce the nutrient levels. I would like to manage the algae growth but am not sure what to do. Please help.

Last edited:
Algae in a planted tank is most often a result of a nutriant imbalance.
Go on to Tom Barr's site, www.barrreport.com/ and read a bunch there.
It's impossible for anyone to diagnose your tank with any kind of real accuracy from affar. Ballance is a hit or miss deal till you get it right.
Perhaps your phosphate is high?
Has the tank got CO2 suppliment?
Do you use any liquid ferts?

Check all your levels and post them here and we'll be better able to advise.

Riuck

Plants also only need 8 to 10 hours of light. And that should include the sunlight that its getting.

It's my understanding that Zebra Nerite Snails eat green spot. I am also having a green spot algae issue and ordered some online. I'll tell you how it goes

CO2 addition can really help control different types of algae. A C, N, or P imbalance can also really contribute to algae troubles. I would cut the light back to 10 hours a day, and start by checking N if you have a test kit. It is easy to bottom out on N in a small tank because the bio load is so small. Excel can be an effective algae deterrent in a planted tank as well, though it doesn't look like an option in your tank as vals and anacharis are very sensitive to excel.

Back
Top Bottom