treating ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catriona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can i do the teap. treatment if i have african dwarf frog and endler ? Can all tropical fish deal with this temp. change and what about sucker fish? I don't want to treat with meds if i dont have to.:uzi:

Yes you can do the heat treatment with and ADF and an endler. The heat is better than meds. As long as you have an airstone or lower the water level a bit the fish will be fine.

ick

I have a large air stone and a quite large watter fow into the tank. I hope it will be o.k . I started treatment already as of today. I looked closer and thinking now i see ick or speks on then verry fine.
:bowl:

You may be wasting your time with the heat treatment. There may be a "new" ick bug and it's more heat resistant than the last. It's called Cryptocaryon and it originally only found in saltwater...that is, until a few years ago. I know of a discus breeder that sent some fish in 5 years ago he said and they tested positive for this saltwater ick. He even tested positive in many other tropical freshwater fish!

The good news is that malachite green supposedly works well with this new "super ick" bug. It is not recommended to raise the temps while medicating though as it can stress your fish too much. Why are you so against medicating anyway? Quick Cure is one of the best methods for treating ick. People have reported ich being completely absent 24 hours after dosing with Quick Cure. If it works and isn't harmful to your fish, why not spend the $2 on a bottle? I'd much rather do that then raise the temp on them for 2 weeks. I used to be for the heat method but after doing research I've found that it stresses the fish and can do more damage than good even if an extra airstone is added.

HI and thanks for the advice. I am not against meds but rather was told by a member that the heat treatment was the way moste people do it on A.A.I also wonder about the sucker fish being able to deal with the meds and the phantom tetras are sensitive.I herd the meds are meassy?
CATRIONA

I just read on a discus forum that there have been reports of this super ick bug killing fish at 92 degrees F.

They also recommended formalin and malachite green which I believe are both ingredients in Quick Cure. Formalin isn't messy but don't get it on you as it's one of those that's "been known by the state of California to cause cancer" yada yada... Funny how formalin is also in wart removers that people use. Just avoid prolonged exposure. Malachite green may turn your water green and I'm pretty sure it can/will turn your aquarium sealant a green tint but that's hardly noticeable, especially if you use a QT tank. Plecos and tetras will be okay BTW.

I am against meds due to the effects on the bacteria and the fish themselves. No different than my own life. If I can treat myself without meds then I do it. Same for my fish. I would do the heat treatment, you will be able to tell in a day or two if it is working.

Better to have a mini cycle and have healthy fish rather than go the route of stressing them unnecessarily from increased heat that may not even work. Dosing meds is the SURE way.

I have had 100% success rate for ich with the heat treatment. You have the right to your opinion, you will find there are many many members that have also had 100% success rate with the heat method on this board. The op can choose whichever method they deem best for them.

I would do all natural treatments first to fore shure because i would do the same for myself. The problem is that i am not shure what to treat my fish for because i was told by someone that ick isen't in large clumps or looks like bumps.My cherry barbs are the only thing with these bumps and i am wondering what it is .

I had 2 guppies with ick in my 55 gallon community tank. I took them out and put them in QT and turned heat up to 86 for 10 days in both tanks. No more Ick. No meds, Just heat.

IMO raise the heat first, if after 3 or 4 days use meds if it's still spreading. But I always start with heat at the first signs of scratching or any white dots.

Just to chime in...

I used "API Super Ick Treatement" for my very recent outbreak. I used three doses to be sure it was gone. Things are great now. I didn't know about the temp treatment or would have tried that first.

Just chiming in to say that the heat treatment has also worked 100 percent for me and has seemed much less stressful on the fish than when I used to medicate.

Back
Top Bottom