Triops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Saw a little kid toy set to grow triops. They looked kind of cool, like mini horse shoe crabs. Has anyone had experience with these? I was wondering if i could grow them to adult size then put them in a peaceful community tank. After researching them a bit it seems like they should do fine with fish. What do you guys think?

They are peaceful and would probably be fine with any fish that won't bother them. Depending on the species, they can get pretty big too. The only problem is that they have evolved to live in desert pools, so they have a lifespan of 90 days or so I think.

If you're serious about keeping, you'd simulate a desert pond drying at the end of their lifespan which would induce them to spawn another generation. Otherwise they will just die in a community tank.

--Adeeb

Thanks for the info! I decided to just use my 2.5 gal tank and I'll just have the triops and maybe a snail. I don't know the scientific name off the top of my mind but the ones i was planning on getting are smaller ones, about 2-2.5 inches

I remember having those as a child! I also had the magical sea monkeys which now I know are brine shrimp...what a rip off! A kit w/ a tiny amount of eggs (100 or something) was $20 (prob. more expensive now). A little jar with 1,000s of eggs from marinedepot.com or whatever store, they are $5.

Back
Top Bottom