Tropheus diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up a group of six tropheus. I was looking into getting them spirulina.. I have zoo med flake but want to switch to pellet. Any suggestions? I'm also feeding them Thera A like all my other fish. Will this harm them?

A high quality pellet is all you need to feed. If you want to mix in some flakes, frozen food, or live food, then you can also do that, but it is not necessary.

Tropheus are bloat magnets when fed a poor quality diet, for the most part they are herbivores, specifically algae grazers, which have a very long digestive tract that need to be fed the correct diet. The key is high quality easily digestable proteins. So when your looking for foods it's not about the protein percentage, but rather the quality of the proteins themselves. Food that derives it's protein from high soybean, corn, wheat flour and other fillers is not nearly as digestible as a high quality pellet that utilizes the entire fish not just the left over bi-products from other industries; such as Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Squid Meal is what your looking for. Coincidentally that's the same stuff New Life Spectrum uses, I'd feed that exclusively and call it a day.

Tropheus are bloat magnets when fed a poor quality diet, for the most part they are herbivores, specifically algae grazers, which have a very long digestive tract that need to be fed the correct diet. The key is high quality easily digestable proteins. So when your looking for foods it's not about the protein percentage, but rather the quality of the proteins themselves. Food that derives it's protein from high soybean, corn, wheat flour and other fillers is not nearly as digestible as a high quality pellet that utilizes the entire fish not just the left over bi-products from other industries; such as Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Squid Meal is what your looking for. Coincidentally that's the same stuff New Life Spectrum uses, I'd feed that exclusively and call it a day.

I have been. I start with the sprlina flake and then NLS.. Kind of like salad then steak. Also they have been eating the algae off the rocks

Hey Hukit I was just looking into NLS.. For 1" thropheus which is better Threa A or Grow? What's the big difference if there is any?

Grow is basically a growth formula with higher levels of protein, I use this for fry up to 1.5" then transition them to 1mm Thera. I wouldn't feed this as a daily diet for anything other than grow-outs, but if you do a little goes a long way. Thera is essentially the same formula as regular NLS but with a huge dosage of garlic. Garlic has been scientifically shown to kill some internal and external parasites, but the form is very important which is why ingestion is the best method. The liquid forms of garlic from the LFS can work as appetite stimulus but won't help with parasites. If your not using Thera then the next best method for that is the juice from freshly pressed garlic. Soak your choice of food in that juice and you have a great garlic enhanced food, or save the garlic and just use NLS!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom