Tropical stocking, continuous update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zooking12 said:
Sounds good. But just keep in mind the sexing ratio. 1 male to every 2-3 females

Yup! I was think two males and 4 females! Thanks!

And hey! Since ive never had luck with livebearers, what advice can anyone here give about keeping them happy and healthy with the stock I have?

zooking12 said:
What's your stock?

5 BSTs
1 DG
5 bloodfin
5 hy511
10 neons
5 corys
3 ghost shrimp
1 pleco
In a 60 gallon hex.

Soon to have:
2 baby angels (size of a dime)
1 or two more DGs
5 harlequin rasboras
6 hifin blue platies
3 orange flame Von rios
And quite possibly 3-5 hatchetfish

First off, whats a dg? secondly, to me that seems just a tad bit overstocked. But the platies should be fine if all the other fish have done ok in that stock.

I think you should just add one or two more fish from what you want to what you already have. Adding all those fish together seems over stocked, not because of filtration but because of swim room IMO, hexes are more vertical than they are horizontal.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I think you should just add one or two more fish from what you want to what you already have. Adding all those fish together seems over stocked, not because of filtration but because of swim room IMO, hexes are more vertical than they are horizontal.

Ok, the way I see it, I could do the angelfish and gourami because the ones I've had have stayed in the middle, (as opposed to the bottom like my current fish) and the hatchetfish because they stay on top, and like 3 of Von rios, I'll drop the harlequins, I'm thinking like 6 platies.
I'm dropping the harlequins for swim room and thinking the others for strata.

Okay, so you're planning on doing the angels, the gouramis, the hatchets, the platies and the von rios???
Here's what I'd add:
-those two angels
-two DGs
-five hatchets

Six platies and you'll be having lots of babies before you know it, von rios I think you don't really need because you already have many tetra schools already :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, so you're planning on doing the angels, the gouramis, the hatchets, the platies and the von rios???
Here's what I'd add:
-those two angels
-two DGs
-five hatchets

Six platies and you'll be having lots of babies before you know it, von rios I think you don't really need because you already have many tetra schools already :)

I really think id be ok with the platies, because the angels and DGs would eat the fry, and if they didn't, I could just pull em. I want at least three of the Von rips for Color, I know what I want to do, I just wanna know if the bioload would be ok or not? I could do 3 platies instead of 6, would tht be better? Do you see where I'm coming from?

3 might be better as far as bioload is concerned. I have had as many as 8 platys in community and I never found babies. They all got eaten. Once the angels get big enough, they will devour the platy fry unless you remove pregnant females.

3 might be better as far as bioload is concerned. I have had as many as 8 platys in community and I never found babies. They all got eaten. Once the angels get big enough, they will devour the platy fry unless you remove pregnant females.

Or you could keep all females.

absolutangel04 said:

Good, because I don't want them for breeding, I want them for color.! Hah, so what I said earlier is fine people?

So just to be clear... What I'm going to do is safe 100%, because I don't wanna screw up this time!! Anyone who reads this, please respond! :)

O my gosh!! My gourami has not been eating the last few days, has lost some serious coloration, and is bloated round the belly, his face is also darker than usual, and whenever I've had DGs, that means soon death, help me!! Are DGs weak against nitrates, cuz mine are off the charts! I'm gonna do a 25% PWC today, but idk what else it could be!

Puffymcstuff said:
O my gosh!! My gourami has not been eating the last few days, has lost some serious coloration, and is bloated round the belly, his face is also darker than usual, and whenever I've had DGs, that means soon death, help me!! Are DGs weak against nitrates, cuz mine are off the charts! I'm gonna do a 25% PWC today, but idk what else it could be!

DGs are super sensitive when it comes to water quality (at least some species IME) so if the nitrItes are high I would be doing some PWC to keep it at bay.

Back
Top Bottom