Trying live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topher377

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have had my 30 gal freshwater tank going for a few years now. I have recently been looking into live plants. I have 2 in my tank now and was see what everyones thoughts on my tank and plant placement was. The 2 on the far left are my live plants. I have 2 silk and 1 plastic plant in there as well.20190409_164303.jpg

Congrats on taking a new step!!!

Each stem of the plants you have should be planted individually in a group in an off centered way. If you think that by separating the stems, so light can get to the whole stem. about 3/4 of an inch to an inch or so apart. Under/ nearest the brighter lighted area of the tank.

Congrats on taking a new step!!!

Each stem of the plants you have should be planted individually in a group in an off centered way. If you think that by separating the stems, so light can get to the whole stem. about 3/4 of an inch to an inch or so apart. Under/ nearest the brighter lighted area of the tank.
The 1 closet to the front has been there for about a week now. Would it hurt to move it?

You can remove the metal. Then put the bottom nodes into the substrate. You can pinch off the bottom couple leaves before you put it into the substrate. Roots should grow from the spots where the leaves come out.

You can remove the metal. Then put the bottom nodes into the substrate. You can pinch off the bottom couple leaves before you put it into the substrate. Roots should grow from the spots where the leaves come out.
Ok thank you for the advice. I will try and work on that tomorrow. I will post a updated picture when I get it done. Doing this do you think i need to remove some of my fake plants?

Ok i changed some things. What do you think?20190410_172710.jpg

Yes, that is good. The leaves fall off when they don't get enough light.

Do you know what light you have is it a plant growing light? Success for growing plants needs a decent light. This doesn't necessarily mean expensive but the right color spectrum and amount of light.

Even a light like this will grow plants
Sylvania 26378 CFL Light Bulb 6500K-Daylight seen on amazon for 9.99 for 3 bulbs.

There are others too, that was just the first one that popped up.

Yes, that is good. The leaves fall off when they don't get enough light.

Do you know what light you have is it a plant growing light? Success for growing plants needs a decent light. This doesn't necessarily mean expensive but the right color spectrum and amount of light.

Even a light like this will grow plants
Sylvania 26378 CFL Light Bulb 6500K-Daylight seen on amazon for 9.99 for 3 bulbs.

There are others too, that was just the first one that popped up.
The current light that is in it is the one that came with the tank lid. Not sure what 1 it is

It happens all the time!

So if you can see the bulb near the base look for a 4 digit number with a "K"

like this 5600K If the bulb came with Aqueon top it should be fine, but if you got it used, or the bulb was replaced, then could be anything.

Also there are a few options, colormax, floramax and daylight in a T8 bulb.
Ideally you would have the Floramax...

The colormax spectrum has green yellow in the color spectrum graph,
and the daylight doesn't have much red which you would want, and had more yellow and green than you would want, ideally for growing plants.

I tried looking it up and didn't see it online where I was checking on Aqueon listed as a K rating. They showed the graph color spectrum of each light bulb. Which is good to see!

It happens all the time!

So if you can see the bulb near the base look for a 4 digit number with a "K"

like this 5600K If the bulb came with Aqueon top it should be fine, but if you got it used, or the bulb was replaced, then could be anything.

Also there are a few options, colormax, floramax and daylight in a T8 bulb.
Ideally you would have the Floramax...

The colormax spectrum has green yellow in the color spectrum graph,
and the daylight doesn't have much red which you would want, and had more yellow and green than you would want, ideally for growing plants.

I tried looking it up and didn't see it online where I was checking on Aqueon listed as a K rating. They showed the graph color spectrum of each light bulb. Which is good to see!
I got the tank new so its the bulb that the tank is sold with. I will look into lighting for plants. Would it be a better idea to switch to led or add additional lighting in the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to be 1-2 watts per gallon of water for low light plants.

I got a similar 29g tank with an LED strip under the hood that it came with. I keep low light plants without a problem. I run it 8 hours a day and use liquid fertilizer. I think anywhere from 8-10 hours would be ok with those small LED strips.

It's supposed to be 1-2 watts per gallon of water for low light plants.

I got a similar 29g tank with an LED strip under the hood that it came with. I keep low light plants without a problem. I run it 8 hours a day and use liquid fertilizer. I think anywhere from 8-10 hours would be ok with those small LED strips.
Ok my plants seem to be growing pretty good. My biggest struggle is keeping them planted.

Prop a small stone around the bottom of the plant where the roots are. It should hold it until the roots anchor themselves.

Just and update on the plants. Both are growing good. Seems i finally have them rooted and i have pinched off two already to start a new plant. Thanks for the help20190430_203401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom