Trying to decide if I should take my tank down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help making a decision. Several years ago when I first set my 75 gallon tank up I was really excited about it. However, for the past 1.5 - 2 years I can't say I've gotten much enjoyment from it. It's become one of those things that "owns me" rather than me "owning it" - if you know what I mean. I dread water changes and feeding has become one of those things I "have" to do. Keeping it topped off with freshwater has become another chore.
I've found other (cheaper) hobbies that I enjoy more, like the small pond we created in our backyard.

What I don't want to do though is take it down and sell it only to be wishing I hadn't done so a year from now. It cost quite a bit to get started and I don't think I could do it again.

I'm really leaning toward getting rid of it. I'm looking for any advice or past experiences from you.

Thanks!

What part of this hobby caught your attention?

There are do it yourself projects for a top off unit and water changes dont need to be done but once a month depending on your setup and i cant help with feeding as the more you feed in the right amounts the better your tank would look.

This hobby does take time and constant attention from water testing to water changes to coral trimming and it would be better to sell it then let it die a slow unattended death.

I think I've always had FW tanks/bowls since I was a kid but always marveled at the cool looking SW fish. I just never imagined the amount of TIME/energy/money involved.
I have 3 kids and a lot of my time is taken up with them (which I enjoy).

I know about the diy top off's etc. I guess what I'm really looking for is someone to give me a good reason to NOT get rid of it.

I always look at it as the fish and corals need me.Without my husbandry aqnd feeding they would never make it. Their life is in my hand. That`s just the motivation I need.

I don't know if you have a reef or just a fowlr but i really enjoy keeping corals. I like growing them out and fragging them and just collecting what seems to be an endless variety of colors, shapes, and styles. If you haven't tried corals yet i would strongly suggest giving them a shot before you give up your tank.

Wake up Man. Your very lucky your able to even keep this precious part of the ocean in YOUR living room. To do this it takes a little time from your valuble spare time and you get to view cool coral and smart fish.

If i was with you i would knock you upside the head with a water test kit and make you do something you really wouldnt like. Stop whinning and take care of this tank as it cant survive without you.

HEHE that the best i can do without getting booted. Just some well placed humer. But i do beleive that fact we can keep a reef in our living room is a gift that really dont take that much time.

I think I would sell it, and use the money to enlarge/improve the pond, since that's what you enjoy most.

Especially since it's not like this one of those "Aaagh, why do I have this thing!" moments we all have, just a general "eh" feeling about the tank over a long period of time.

Haha, Lance you cracked me up!

I always look at it as the fish and corals need me.Without my husbandry aqnd feeding they would never make it. Their life is in my hand. That`s just the motivation I need.

Understood, and I've taken it seriously for quite some time now. I just don't get any of those good feelings about it anymore.

I think Lisa summed it up best...

Especially since it's not like this one of those "Aaagh, why do I have this thing!" moments we all have, just a general "eh" feeling about the tank over a long period of time.

i tell you what. we set it all up in my house and you can come see it whenever you want. so you get to enjoy it without having to do any of the work.

hey lance, i don't think there is "spare time" with 3 kids. lol

Heck get the kids involved. They can help change water and im sure they would love to do water tests , if they are old enough of course.

But if they are like me , put shampoo because you want to help clean them ( i was 4 ) Killing everything in your dads fresh water stock.

I have gone through the "lag" in attention, but I find going on outtings with other local folks helps to inspire me. I always feel rejuvinated and hop right back in. If you feel it is a burden try joining a club or start a frag tank and sell the frags to folks in the area.
I feel if you are still doing your PWCs and top offs, you really don't want to give it up.
If nothing else, sell your live stock, take a break and keep your equipment. Maybe you can change your set up to something that interests you and your kids....

hey lance, i don't think there is "spare time" with 3 kids. lol

Haha, he says as I am running up/down stairs between washing my 4 year olds hair, cleaning my sisters computer of malware. And as I ran by my 12 year old playing WII he asks if I can play with him.
I know I'm not the only one with kids but it was kinda funny to come back here and read that.

I agree with the 'take it down and store it' recommendation. If the bug doesn't re-bite you sell the rest later.

If nothing else, sell your live stock, take a break and keep your equipment.

I think if I go to that extent I'll just try to sell it all. If I ever got back into it again I'd want a setup that required much less work. As you can see below it's just a basic tank.

fulltank032407.jpg

Wow! I love your aquascaping! That LR looks great.

Last edited:
I think you should sell it. It's just a burden and you have to constantly look at it everyday. It doesn't give you joy and I don't think you should force yourself to try to enjoy it just because it cost a lot of money or would cost money to start it up again or for any other reason.

Free yourself of anything that gets you down. :D

Back in 2004 I had a really nice reef tank die because of two hurricanes that passed through my area. The only things to survive were my yellow tang, an ocellaris clown, a snail and a shrimp. Everything else died. After the initial shock I tried to restart the reef back up but later on I realised that my heart just wasn't in it anymore so I sold my new reef. The only fish I kept was my yellow tang (who I've had for 8 years now). I don't miss that tank one bit. One thing I did do was change direction. Instead of a reef I have a FOWLR with my YT, 2 three stripe damsels and a lunare wrasse. Very easy to care for. I have also found that I adore freshwater cichlids, specifically large central american cichlids. So the hobby has changed for me in many ways. Perhaps you are just tired of the reef? Would a FOWLR interest you at all? Maybe giving up saltwater is what you need......you could always change the tank over to fresh and go from there....

When a hobby becomes something that's a burden, or you don't enjoy... it's time to rid yourself of it. People get into, and out of hobbies all the time. Life is too short, and kids are only kids for a short while. Take advantage of it while you can.

Get the kids involved, if they have any interest in the tank. Even a toddler can dump out a container you premeasured the food/additive/salt into. Older children can actually be helpful. You shouldn't have to give up as much kids time to take care of the tank. Sure, it will take a bit longer to do the maintenance, but they'll have fun with you.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Getting the kids involved is a nice idea but I don't think it would work.
I'm pretty sure it's going to go, I'm just having a hard time making that "final" decision.

Back
Top Bottom