Tuberculosis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It very well may be fish TB. A bit more info would be helpful. What size tank? How old is the tank and how often are the water changes? What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

I'm sorry. I got hte visdeo up, but had to leave really fast after that. It's a 20 gallon long with 6 danios, a platy, 2 1-inch long cories, and 2 small angels who iwll move to a tall tank shortly. The tank is mature, been around for 4 months, but was started iwht an already mature biowheel filter. A, n, n, all zero. 2wice a week wc with 10 or 20 percent changed.

0-5 ish. At the petstore it's like 5 or 10, at home my strips read zero.

With regular partial water changes and a small population density there is no reason why most home test kits should not read zero on the nitrate level.

As far as the TB is concerned, unless you have the means to do tissue cultures and such then all you can do is speculate. You cannot cure it. So really, you either destroy the fish, isolate it and arbitrarily treat it with medications for something you cannot identify, or let it live out what's left of it's life. It could be genetic, it could be an inability to assimilate vitamins in food, it could be anything. It is easy to just say TB but there is no way to say for certain.

Okay.

I didn't know double posting was allowed. Cool.

I was going to euthanize it, but it died shortly after the video was taken.

If you ahve not disposed of the fish, you might be able to ID if fish tb is present by doing a dissection. TB tend to form granunomas, that would be little lumps of hard tissue. If you find that in the liver/gut, you might be looking at tb. <The only way to be sure is to do an acid fast stain of the granulomas & look under the microscope (high power ~1000x, as AFB are small, even by bacteria standard).>

Um......nope,I flush dead bodies after a quick overall body study. (for ich, sores, or anything like that).

flushing fish is illegal xD please dont practice that.. put them in a trashcan and take out the garbage... thats actually how they wish for you to dispose of bodies.

Is that a state law? Or a local municipal law? Do you have a reference that shows that law that I can read? Just curious.

I don't think that it's illegal to flush fish. It's just better to just toss it in the trash.

I personally have put mine out in the garden, I like to think the dead ones are still giving a bit when I see the flowers blooming. I have a little fish statuette in the garden to memorialize the ones that did not make it. :)

Back
Top Bottom