turning 75g fw to sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
i know i'm an idiot, but now that i have my 40 gallon setup im so interested in sw that im entertaining turning my 75 gallon fw into a sw tank, how hard would this transition be?. on my 75g i have 2 whisper 60 filters, could i leave them in, take out the old gravel substract , put in some ls and lr,and start up and let the old filters seed the new sw setup or would that not work input would be appreciated

You will have to scrap the filter material and scrub the tank down *don't use soap/widnex!* 8O

I would start with LS and as much LR as possible. FOWLR setups can use the same lighting... but I might change the bulbs to actinics/50-50's so that things look nice. Reef lighting will be more expensive... what setup do you want? You can use the Whispers with new media, but most (including me) would talk bad about HOB filters with filter media. They can trap deterius and if not cleaned very often, and can lead to nitrate production. If you get 1.5-2 lbs of LR, that's all the filtration you'd need.

Get some powerheads to reach 10 X water circulation (would just go with 2 MJ1200's). Other than that... save up for a good skimmer and you're good to go! LOL... basically you can use your tank & hood. Most of the other stuff will have to be replaced/cleaned. Good luck!!

the saltwater will kill the freshwater bacteria that converts ammonia an nitrite...so you wouldn't get any seeding.

pretty much have to tear down, clean, set back up as sw and re-cycle.

:( i was thinkin thats what i had to do, but i was hoping someone would say it wasnt necessary hehe. i basicly want a tank with enough room for corals, some anemones stuff like that, with some reef safe fish and the 40g i have setup now looks hellishly small compared to the 75g fw i have setup

i think i may just do that and have 2 sw aquariums, theres so much more room for fish in the 75g tank , is 80 lbs of ls in the tank overkill? a lfs has a good deal on some ls

Back
Top Bottom