Two new Scooter Blennys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today I went to my LFS and could not past up these baby's there were on sale for $5 each there are small and one is larger than the other. My system is loaded with pods and other small critters. In the last 3 months I have been without any pod eaters so my system has bloom with tons of stuff for them to munch on.

My question is will it be hard to wing them on to prepared foods?

Will post pics shortly....;)

Thanks
Frankie

I personally never had much luck with prepared foods. I bought some newly hatched brine shrimp which it did eat.

It`s just hard to tell Frankie. Just try some mysis or vitamin fortified Brine and see.

I know people with mandarins that have used a glass jar to help them switch over to prepared foods. They bury it half way or so in the sand. Then they put a mix of live and prepared foods in the jar. You have to feed your other fish on the other side of the tank to try and keep them away as much as you can. This gives them a chance to wander in and eat. They seem to like to inspect their food before the eat it. The mix of live and prepaired seems to help trick them into trying the prepaired foods. I wish i remember where the link was because it probably had more detail and i'm just hoping i didn't forget anything but that was most of it.

Seems like from what I've read, its a hit or miss thing, and mostly dependent on the fish themselves. Some convert fairly easily, others never do. So long as you have a big population of pods, I doubt you will get them to eat any prepared food.

Well tonight I will work on trying to get them to eat some PE Mysis and see what they are eating it was the fault of mine I should have had the LFS feed them before leaving. But They have been scavaging around and pick on the subtrate once I put them in- They are small and are already paired up.

Just tried to feeding Mysis shrimpthey did not want it- might have to try feeding baby brine to ge them to feed- right now they are scavaging the sand bed so I am hoping they are eating- treid looking at there belly they still seem a little thin.... :(

If you really have problems getting them to eat and they are looking thin most LFS sell live pods you can add as a temporary fix. Some places also sell live brine which might work as well and is probably much cheaper. Either way i would really try to get them switched over to prepaired foods. They will be much happier in the long run if you do.

hehe... I will try to get pics of the little guys- they have been getting better looks like they are eating all the pods that are already in my tank I still have swarms of them in my Fuge so I know food supply would not be an issue there bellys have gotten a little fat since then so I really have not tried to feed them but let mother nature take it's corse- I will get some Brine this weekend since I am going to the swap in rockford, I am going to try and get them to eat prepared foods to get them winged off of the real live thing. Will be getting two breeders nets to do this process. :)

Ugh i love the rockford swap. That is one of the best ones in the area. I need to find some good ones down here in VA.

Back
Top Bottom