Two Part Q: Celestial Pearl Danio / Cory Types 20 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
Hi everyone,

Now that my tank is (finally!) cycled I can start thinking about adding fish.

This week I'll be finalizing the tank (getting a new stand as my current one broke, fixing the background which is curling off, adding more silk plants, etc) and making sure the cycle is stable. By the end of the week I should be ready to add fish, so I have some questions.

1) I really want Celestial Pearl Danio (a large shoal, about 10). Anyone have experience with these? I know they are very small and shy which is why I wanted a large school and I will add them first and then wait a week or two before adding anything else. I'm not sure where to get them either (the one person I've contacted so far hasn't gotten back to me yet). Also what are the best foods for them? I've ordered NLS Community Pellets so far but want to give them a variety.

Edit: Also I've read that they like cooler temps (low-mid 70's?) so not sure if they would be OK with other tropical fish. If they really aren't recommended for a community setup then I'll have to reconsider.

2) I'd like to add some Corys as everyone raves about them (initially I wanted Ottos but I don't have any algae yet and I hear they are difficult to keep). I know Pandas would fit in my tank (20 gal) but I like the markings on the Sterbai or Julii's better; would they be OK in a 20 or do they need a larger tank? Also would a group of 3-4 be sufficient? Do they eat algae wafers?

3) I'm also thinking of adding 3-5 Cobra Guppies. Would they be OK with the Celestials? These are the only other fish that have really caught my eye due to their markings (normal guppies never did much for me but I saw the cobras and fell in love), but I'm open to other suggestions, especially since now that I'm researching a bit more it seems like the males have the best coloring and finnage and the females are more bland, so maybe they aren't the best choice but I have no idea what to replace them with. Again, ideas welcome! :D

I'm also going to add two horned nerites.

Also if anyone has ordered the above from anyone online (or here on AA) and has had good experiences please let me know. The only LFS that has CPDs here I don't trust, and the only cobra guppies I've seen are in the larger chain stores. I haven't seen Corys around but I admit I wasn't looking for them before either.

Advice on any or all of the above is much appreciated.

:thanks:

NLS exclusively would be ideal. You could have a larger school of the danios, they are tiny.

I personally would stick with the danios and fancy shrimp. Plant the tank well and most likely the danios will breed for you. Add guppies and cories and you will undo that.

I would stick to only the danios, as fishguy said. Plants are basically crucial to these guy. Lots of plants and a large number will get them to not be shy and better chances for breeding.

NLS is a great choice. Just make sure you have pellets small enough for their little mouths.

Thanks to you both! Since the CPDs are so small (and tend to be shy) I'm concerned I'll never see them in a 20 gal and it'll be like looking at an empty tank! lol I wouldn't mind if they bred (that would be awesome) but breeding isn't my goal for them. I heard back from the CPD guy, so that's all set. I'll probably order a school of 12 next weekend; I've decided I have to have them. :D

What about another school of smaller fish, the same size as the CPDs? LIke Ember Tetra? Or Hatchetfish (which are a bit bigger but might not be as problematic as the guppies) although I'm not crazy about those either? I want a lively, colorful peaceful community tank.

If the CPDs are an issue with other fish I can always get another tank for them separately but I'd like to try them in a community first. I know it's been done, seen videos on YouTube and others have even kept them with Bettas successfully.

What about all male cobra guppies? Since they are more colorful? Again having fry would be awesome (which is why originally I wanted one male cobra and the rest female but as I said the females are boring looking to me), but not a must have right now. Ack, help! lol

I have a slew of plants on order (silk) so the tank will be heavily planted with a large piece of fake driftwood in the center and a rock cave. Eventually I might tackle live plants but I'd have to upgrade my lighting first.

And I don't like shrimp; they look like little aliens to me and totally freak me out. :D

Sorry I'm all over the place. :D
Thank you.

We accidentally bred them in the sales tank at the shop I was running, they aren't a hard one.

Hi Library Girl! Let us know what kinds of fishies you put in your tank and post some photos, too!

I have some cpd's and I feed them the Hikari Micro pellets that are semi-sinking as I found that they wouldn't take crushed flake and seem to like to eat in the mid water. As for shyness, mine started out as hiders but now that they have got a bit bigger and my plants are better established they are out and about a fair bit. The guy at my lfs told me that the more places your fish have to hide the less likely they are to feel the need to, and that seems to certainly ring true for these little stunners.

Back
Top Bottom